Cambridge Star Atlas / Pocket Sky Atlas / TLAO

cloudsweeper

Just got the CSA (4th ed.) as a birthday present, so was interested to compare it with S&T's PSA.

The CSA has bigger charts - see images - but goes to ap mag 6.5, while the PSA goes down to 7, so shows more stars.

PSA shows more regions of nebulosity, and has 4 pages of useful close-ups (Pleiades etc.).  It also has better labelling of stars and other objects on the charts, whereas the CSA has tables opposite each chart, detailing all the objects there, and providing further info about them such as the numbers of stars in the clusters.  Very handy for reference.

The CSA then has further material not present in the PSA, like Moon charts/details, small seasonal sky maps, a table of Messier objects plus charts, star tables (with further info), constellation list, table of exoplanets, sky maps showing the distribution of various objects, and general text about stars and other objects.  The PSA has an index (arranged by object type), plus lists of Messier and Caldwell objects.

To sum up, the CSA has general info, plus very useful tables and charts, and bigger star charts.  The PSA has smaller but somewhat more detailed charts.  Two excellent publications - I'm pleased to have both!

Another great birthday present was the well-known Turn Left At Orion.  I had held back on buying it on account of expenditure on EPs!  As many on SGL know, it is a wonderful resource for interesting objects, their locations and appearance in eyepieces, and additional interesting information about them.  It includes tables and an index. 

All three highly recommended!

Doug.

P1050664.JPG

P1050665.JPG

P1050666.JPG

P1050667.JPG

Thanks for the review Doug. I have the third edition of the CSA. One thing to note from my earlier version the constellations are not joined up, so for example in your image showing Cygnus, the cross of Cygnus is not shown with the main stars joined up.  It  is not a major issue though, so don't think I'll be upgrading to the fourth edition just for that. Don't own Pocket Sky atlas, but have seen people rave about it in good light, so may add that to the list of books to add to my Astro library. 

Excellent review! I've got the Pocket Sky Atlas and TLAO both of which have been really helpful. The Atlas in particular is invaluable for me when using my Telrad finder. It's next to me at the scope every session! I don't have the CSA but looks a good resource too. 

I'm planning on getting the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders at some point:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0596526857/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=Z5XE4CN1W8RM&coliid=I154E1447QMF6G

I'vd seen some great reviews for it on here. Sounds like it's similar to TLAO but with a lot more objects in it. 

I really like the CSA, but the only problem with using it while observing is that the paper is rather thin and really soaks up the dew. Much more so than the Pocket Atlas. It's not a great problem, but my copy does look a bit scruffy now.

Nice comparison Doug and the photos are helpful, so thank you for posting this for us all.

I have TLAO and think its great.
Have just received the PSA via Amazon, its to be a fathers day gift for me (had to organise what I wanted!).

Have to say both  publications are good, easy to use. onec you have grasped what its telling you.
I much prefer a luddite paper version to any electronic format, feels more comfortable and the batteies never need charging!

Your posting now leaves me with the CSA on my wish list as well as the Jumbo PSA.
Birthday in September, so I will have to be patient until then.

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Nice comparison Doug and the photos are helpful, so thank you for posting this for us all.

I have TLAO and think its great.
Have just received the PSA via Amazon, its to be a fathers day gift for me (had to organise what I wanted!).

Have to say both  publications are good, easy to use. onec you have grasped what its telling you.
I much prefer a luddite paper version to any electronic format, feels more comfortable and the batteies never need charging!

Your posting now leaves me with the CSA on my wish list as well as the Jumbo PSA.
Birthday in September, so I will have to be patient until then.

Glad to help, Alan - and to get folk spending money, although birthday etc. presents can lighten the cost to us!

I usually use Stellarium when out observing, but otherwise - like you - I favour good old printed material for fast and flexible access and session-planning.

Doug.

Archived