Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TOA-130 vs C11Edge HD

Rodd

I could not resist the challenge.  The first image was captured with the TOA 130 with a Skyris 236c and a 2.5x powermate (F25).  The second image was captured with a C11Edge HD and a ZWO ASI 174m (green filter) and a 5x Powermate (F50).

Not sure the TOA 130 could keep up with a 5x Powermate--seeing wasn't good enough for that comparison.  Pixels used with the TOA were 2.8um while the pixels for the C11Edge were 5.6um (maybe 6--can't remember).

Moon-5a.thumb.jpg.988837d0cc02d50b0f9c2fc824eaadad.jpg

Clavius-1a.thumb.jpg.c723940e3cdf532bb75350e6c8e89c8c.jpg

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Great shots Rodd, and a fine example of what aperture gives you in terms of resolution benefits :) 

Thanks Stu--but you know, I think the Celestron at F50 is over its Dawes Limit.  The amount of tiny details visible seems not to be as much as one would expect looking at the TOA-130 image.  The image seems softer somehow and I think that is why (just a thought--might be way off base, I don't know).

Rodd

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice shots. F/50 is definitely over the optimal limit for a camera with 5.6 micron pixels. F/25 to F/30 is better, I found with my DMK21, and likewise with the ASI174MM. I tend to use the 2.5x PowerMate or the Meade 3x TeleXtender on the ASI174MM.

Thanks Michael.  Your right, at .08 arcsec/pix with a Dawes Limit of .42, it has to be getting close.  Then again, the image doesn't seem to be compromised.  The seeing that night was obviously very good.  On 99.9% of nights where I live the 2.5x for the C11 is the max for me (I don't own a 3x--I don't even own a 5x--I acheived F50 by stacking a 2x and a 2.5x!-worked well).  Even that is too much most nights.  I found the refractor much more stable as far as atmospheric turbulence.  To be expected I guess due to its smaller aperture.  I wish I had purchased a mono camera with smaller pixels--I have 3 Skyris cams that have small pixels (one has 2.8um pix)--but they are color.  I guess the ASI 220 (or is it the 224, or maybe the 120--I forget) is teh way to go (and a C14)

Rodd

pS--I goofed--the FR for the TOA 130 was F19.23 not F25 as stated!

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Thanks AstroKane.  The Moon has that effect on me too.

Rodd

Really impressive Rod & your above post was timely - I have been imaging the moon for around a year and I have recently upgraded to an 8" Edge HD on the Advanced VX mount. With the new setup I plan to practice some really up close shots like above.

I recently posted regarding what type of barlows I should look into, I think you have sealed the deal for the PowerMate (johnfosteruk also recommended)

I love looking at the moon, so majestic - and imaging of course follows suit. When I feel I am at a decent level I want to get the Lunar 100 nailed. Perhaps then I will look into planetary and DSO's - All in good time! :headbang:

2 minutes ago, AstroKane said:

Really impressive Rod & your above post was timely - I have been imaging the moon for around a year and I have recently upgraded to an 8" Edge HD on the Advanced VX mount. With the new setup I plan to practice some really up close shots like above.

I recently posted regarding what type of barlows I should look into, I think you have sealed the deal for the PowerMate (johnfosteruk also recommended)

I love looking at the moon, so majestic - and imaging of course follows suit. When I feel I am at a decent level I want to get the Lunar 100 nailed. Perhaps then I will look into planetary and DSO's - All in good time! :headbang:

Good luck--the Moon is never boring.  The seeing has to be very good though, or you won't be satisfied with the images (collimation too!).  The seeing is my biggest impediment to producing images as amazing as Damien Peach (and the fact that he uses a 14" scope and he know what hes doing:happy6:).  But on those steady nights, its heaven.

8 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

Both are killer shots! 

Thanks for the comparison.

Thanks Tyson--your welcome.  Tried again tonight but Moon is near full and I wasted my time.

Rodd

Archived