Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 15x70, just ordered

Just placed my order from RVO for my birthday, no surprises for me these days. Can't wait to get them on Friday, but my wife is going to make me wait till 17th before I can use them. Think they will need testing though at the weekend ??

I've been hinting absolutely ages for those, let me know how you get on. Something along the lines of "they changed my life Niall, I lost weight and did more around the house and everything" would help my case considerably! :happy7:

I have Skymasters. I like them but this spec has a reputation for going out of collimation if knocked. Mine are okay because I handle them gently: X15's and X25's. The usable aperture is 62mm, due to the prisms being stopped down.

As you have the SkyMasters,' allow me to toss a little suggestion?

These come with (or they're supposed to) a tripod-adapter - which is made out of plastic - that simply just isn't up to the task. Too flexible to carry the weight of these BIG binoculars. Hunt about for a metal one. This first image looks like the plastic one:

tripod-adapt.png.77ea372f3d6816387b1ef41f97bc2292.png

The metal one I found looks like this:

ss_bitb.jpg.c67414dc4fdb899fb9a255ddbdaada82.jpg

I have the 15 X 70mm SkyMaster ones, too. I've never had to collimate them - yet - but read-up on how-to. It looks like a simple task to me. As regards their 70mm being 62mm, I've read this is the case with most others as well. It's simply how the design works. I'm not an adept in the field of binoculars, but we have a person here who truly is: Steve Tonkin, who publishes the 'Bincular Sky Newsletter' as well as teaches. He's who I turn to for questions I've had. His latest newsletter just came out:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/294311-binocular-sky-newsletter-june-2017/#comment-3223061

Yet another example of how wonderful this forum truly is!

Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks guys. Good comments. Skymaster version are the ones I now have. 

Received today and unboxing them I was first surprised at how light they feel, I was expecting them to be much heavier. Crisp view out the window at work and they feel great. Nice carry bag as well. Cloudy tonight but forecast tomorrow is good so will test out, before owning up to my wife that I've had them delivered. She wants to wrap them up for my birthday the meanie. 

I was amazed with these last night, beautiful crisp view, could easily see M13 and M92 and the shear number of stars was brilliant. These are going to help me so much finding those tricky objects and helping get in the right area with my scope. Also while imaging I can actually keep observing, laid back in a comfy reclining chair or with them on a tripod, still working on how best to get them to be more flexible when on a tripod. Think I'll do some kind of modification to a ball head of my gorilla pod tripod thing. 

Sadly, they are now out of my possession until 17th June unless the night off he 16th is particularly clear as we are camping in North Yorkshire and they will be an early present ?  

Very happy. 

I also have a new pair of these.

I was looking for something low cost but decent enough to use whilst my camera is fitted to my telescope. Early birthday present too but allowed to have them before mid June so we could take them on holiday...didn't even have to surrender them till my birthday :-) I also need something sturdy and tall enough so bought the Amazon Basics with Pistol Grip Head to go with them. A great combination.  I've not had a chance to use them for stagazing yet other than a quick look at the moon, Jupiter and Ursa Major and first impressions are good. They've been impressive during the day too.

If you have a scope mount or a good camera tripod you could use a Binocular Mount . Just add it to your tripod or scope mount . Works with counter weight and holds your binocs steady . Keeps your arms from getting tired .

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-5376-Paragon-Plus-Binocular-without/dp/B0000XMYQA/ref=sr_1_21/137-0520413-4159363?ie=UTF8&qid=1496678331&sr=8-21&keywords=binocular+tripods

This one comes with mount : http://www.highpointscientific.com/orion-paragon-plus-parallelogram-style-binocular-mount-and-tripod-05379?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=ORI-05379

A few on ebay also : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=binocular+mount+parallelogram

Or if your a handy man you can make your own :  http://astroshake.com/2011/12/diy-parallelogram-binocular-mount-cloudy-day-recipe/

16 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Have a look at this:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/image-stabilize-your-binoculars/

I built this device during an afternoon from scrap, and it works very well with my 10X50 Zeiss Jenoptems, giving more freedom of movement compared to a tripod.

Stephan

An excellent and clear article from S&T you've posted, Stephan! Good find!

I'm sure that will be very useful for just about anyone who enjoys their binoculars - but the 'jitters' has always been an issue that steals some of the fun.

Thank you -

Dave

The screw on the tripod mount has broken already, just the plastic turning bit, so I'm going to look for a better mount, as recommended by @Dave In Vermont  Told the retailer and waiting for the response (they are looking into it). Plastic stuff is just not up to the job. Bins are fantastic though do still very happy. 

The plastic mount does seem a bit flimsy but is fine with my lighter 10x50 binos.  I bought this for the new 15x70s and glad I did, nice and sturdy, no flexing.......but don't over tighten! 

All I need now is dry weather and visability of the sky.

As mentioned earlier, I use the homemade binocular mirror-mount with the SKYMASTERS when targets are neck-achingly high. For lower-placed targets, I use a homemade triangular, aluminium, frame with bicycle handgrips.

Archived