Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another good Jupiter night

mikeDnight

4 hours ago, Mr niall said:

That's amazing, how long do these take you? I love the detail.

The rough eyepiece sketch, made in low light and without my glasses on take about ten minutes, and often look like a mass of confused scribblings. I usually make a cleaned up version of the sketch as soon after the observation as possible, so the observation is still fresh in my mind. The cleaned up sketch can take around 30 mins to complete.

Mike

Very interesting sketch Mike.

Last night at a similar time in the TEC we were seeing three white ovals, more turbulence really in the SEB running from the centre to the right hand side of the disk. I did not really seem them on the left hand side.

In terms of festoons, there seemed to be a very prominent one centre disk at this time, with the others much more subtle.

I guess perhaps your seeing was better than ours, although last night was the best I've seen it locally this year.

Glad we are all getting some great views at last :) 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Very interesting sketch Mike.

Last night at a similar time in the TEC we were seeing three white ovals, more turbulence really in the SEB running from the centre to the right hand side of the disk. I did not really seem them on the left hand side.

In terms of festoons, there seemed to be a very prominent one centre disk at this time, with the others much more subtle.

I guess perhaps your seeing was better than ours, although last night was the best I've seen it locally this year.

Glad we are all getting some great views at last :) 

Hi Stu,

The festoons I saw were also subtle, as was much of the belt detail. It's always difficult to replicate the exact eyepiece view in a sketch, especially as the sketch represents an intensive study over 20 mins or so. I usually observe Jupiter for at least ten mins before putting pencil to paper and then it takes ten mins to sketch down that detail as accurately as possible, so it represents features on the disk but not necessarily seen easily. Much can be border line detail that can be washed out by seeing conditions.

Mike ☺

Another very nice sketch Mike. I agree that a final sketch is almost always a composite of a prelonged observing session. Subtle details are often only visible in brief moments of very good seeing. It's a bit like the AP chaps stacking their best images in a way. I also noted that one of your Jupiter sketches is shown in the latest journal of the BAA. Congratulations. Well deserved acknowledgment of all the hard work and skill you put into your sketching.

Archived