SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Free CAD Software recommendations

You can try to buy an old version of AutoCAD like 2008 and use it in virtual box with windows XP it's working like a charm.  I don't have a name for an open source which is good unfortunately ): I kind of like the original AutoCAD.

2 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

We were supposed to test Draftsight, it supposed to be good in 2D. Cornelius do you like it?

For a free cad programme it was quite good, very similar to AcadLT (if you can use Acad then ou shouldn't have any difficulty). The free version apparently has some minor bugs but was still better than some professional cad programmes I have used.

If this is for the idea to create parts to 3D print then I use SketchUP as it is for home use I can use the free version and there is an extension to output STL file format. There are loads of free extentions to add even further functionaility plus YouTube is full of video tutorials.

I know AutoCAD very well and that knowledge was a comfortable fit for Sketchup as draughting is draughting.

I've found QCad to be a good option for 2D work. It takes a bit of time to become proficient, however once you learn how to use it, it offers a lot of capabilities.

Autodesk Fusion 3D is free for personal use and use by small businesses. It is a fully featured 3D modelling system with integrated complex surfacing, FEA, CAM, sheet metal design and development, rendering etc. It is ideal for designing the kind of widgets we need from time to time in pursuit of this hobby.

It is very well supported on Youtube by Autodesk and many third parties.

HTH

Derrick

• 1 month later...

On 20/05/2017 at 16:20, derrickf said:

Autodesk Fusion 3D is free for personal use and use by small businesses. It is a fully featured 3D modelling system with integrated complex surfacing, FEA, CAM, sheet metal design and development, rendering etc. It is ideal for designing the kind of widgets we need from time to time in pursuit of this hobby.

It is very well supported on Youtube by Autodesk and many third parties.

HTH

Derrick

I did not know Fusion 3D is free, I'll definitely give that a try! I like Autodesk software, probably because I use it for my job everyday but they keep their UI modern and simple for the most part.

Other free software packages I know and use are:

- SketchUp by Trimble (taken over from Google). It has a very simple user friendly interface and its easy to make quick sketches and block models in it; I don't like it for more complex models though. Free for non commercial use.

- OnShape. It is a fully cloud-based, in-browser CAD package (no monster PC required). It has a similar design process to software such as SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor. You also design in a 3D environment with parts and assemblies and create design and manufacturing drawings from the models. You can also add extensions for CAM and FEA and lots more, some of which are free. It is also free for non commercial use and any non commercial design is in public domain, but who cares?

- Blender. Completely free and open source. It is for more artistic use with a user interface very similar to that of Autodesk 3DS Max.

Did I mention that OnShape has a fully featured mobile app for Android and ios?

Screenshot_2017-06-22-21-37-45.thumb.png.92e232ac43a3d988930280f7bf7f2489.png

59 minutes ago, CharlP6 said:

I did not know Fusion 3D is free, I'll definitely give that a try! I like Autodesk software, probably because I use it for my job everyday but they keep their UI modern and simple for the most part.

As long as you turn over less than 100K a year.

Archived