NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2nd Martian globe project

mikeDnight

The year 2003 is one of outstanding clarity in my mind. In January of that year I got my first view through a fluorite refractor. I know that many are unmoved be small aperture refractors, but that little scope, a Vixen FL 102, instantly swept me off my feet. Sadly, I was unable to buy a new one even after saving at an insane rate to acquire the funds, as the then U.K. importer couldn't get hold of one, and it seemed, couldn't have cared less anyway. To cut a long story short, I bought a FS128 from True Technology in May of that year and my adventures began.

All the planet's were well placed from the UK in 2003, and the views of Jupiter and Saturn were simply stunning. Mars however was jaw dropping! It was at its largest  (almost 26" arc) and was riding high throughout the year, and my FS128 was the perfect telescope for observing it. Though I'd observed Mars many times before, I'd never seen the level of detail that was on show before then. I arranged with an observing buddy to be ready to go out observing on every clear night, and that if it was clear, I'd pick him up and we'd drive to an isolated spot out of town to study it. My friend was always at my side throughout every observing session during that year, and as a consequence he has a special affinity with the results of our observations.

After sketching Mars on almost every occasion in 2003, I ended up with an impressive volume of observations which I eventually transfered onto a cylindrical grid, producing a very nice telescopic map of the southern hemisphere. 

Jumping forward to 2016, I again observed Mars with the intention of acquiring as many observational sketches as I could, despite the planet being very low from the UK. Again I produced a cylindrical grid map of Mars, but this time it was the northern hemisphere on view, and again the result was impressive. It was so impressive that I transfered the second map onto a 5" steel globe. When my observing buddy saw the globe for himself he began pestering me to produce a globe of our 2003 observations. A few days ago i succumbed to his pestering after he presented me with an old earth globe, which he said i could use to create a mars globe for him. It took a few hours to complete as the globe needed painting before the detail was added, after which the surface was lacquered three times to protect the detail. I've attached a couple of images!

The detail is presented south top as viewed directly, without diagonal, through the Takahashi FS128, from the map of my 2003 observations.

I just hope my friend likes it!!

Mike

2017-05-10 08.23.37.jpg

2017-05-10 08.23.01.jpg

Archived