NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sunspot 2654 (very first attempt of photographing the sun)

Fypunky

I was having a friend of wife's round who asked sometime back if she could if she could star gaze one night as she loved the idea of astronomy etc, so after a couple of failed attempts due to clouds rolling in last night was perfect so I decided to set the scope up early evening and spend a little time on the sun.

I had checked for sunspots earlier and thought I would have a go at trying to photograph them with my trusty phone for the very first time.

First problem I had was focusing! Never gave it a thought there is no detail to focus ( using Baader Solar Film) so after playing around with settings I did manage to take this shot..

Bit more practice needed!

IMG_20170505_194958.jpg

16 minutes ago, Fypunky said:

Bit more practice needed!

....maybe, but you have to start somewhere, so why not start at the beginning!
Focusing will come with practice, I had issues yesterday  focusing on subjects much closer, in our own atmosphere!

Nice photo. I've just been having a look at 2654 it's not for from the edge now. It's been hard to focus this afternoon also so i've been staying at low magnifications. I also just spotted 2655 nearer the centre before packing up but could easily have missed it.

Archived