Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

cat5 usb extender

hi been using usb extender cable(powered) to run mount,filter wheel ,2 cameras and auto focuser,and recently changed laptop so new software installed ,but i now seem to be getting the odd dropout or software freeze so just wondered if any one was using a cat 5 usb extender with any joy,seen one i think it was an icron but these seem a bit hard to find thanks

I use the  Startech one - its about 45m from laptop to obsy and I used cat6 shielded cable. It runs the mount, 2 ccd's, electronic focuser etc.

Zero problems.

https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/usb-over-cat5-cat6-extender~USB2004EXTV

Shop around, you can find them a lot cheaper than the link.

That price is eye-watering - as long as you have mains at the obsy you can get a refurb dell optiplex desktop with 10 proper USB ports, genuine windows 7, 4gb ram etc.. for £45, then just remote desktop into it.

I love those discussions. If someone asks for a simple way to connect over USB, there is always someone proposing to remote control a PC. If someone asks for PC remote control, there is always someone suggesting USB repeaters or extenders. So funny. Well, it is nice that there are several ways to do it. And nice that we help each other...

Christer, SWEDEN

1 hour ago, cfpendock said:

I use one of these (Startech) with double adapters for five USB signals (focuser, scope, filter wheel, two cameras).  I use 50m of cat 5E cable.  Absolutely reliable.

Chris

glad to hear this chris just what i wanted to hear as ive just ordered one:icon_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, iwols said:

glad to hear this chris just what i wanted to hear as ive just ordered one

I know they seem expensive, but they are incredibly well made.  I don't think you will regret it.

9 minutes ago, Juicy6 said:

I love those discussions. If someone asks for a simple way to connect over USB, there is always someone proposing to remote control a PC. If someone asks for PC remote control, there is always someone suggesting USB repeaters or extenders. So funny. Well, it is nice that there are several ways to do it. And nice that we help each other...

Christer, SWEDEN

True, in my world though anything that connects via USB is going to be inherently flaky, so having the shortest cable possible connected directly to a motherboard USB port is ALWAYS going to be the most reliable possible setup.  

The remote desktop solution also easily allows control from anywhere in the world.

1 hour ago, iwols said:
1 hour ago, iwols said:

thanks billy that sounds ideal  i need 5 usb outlets so have you tried using a double adapter at the end of the startech to give 5 usb outputs

Yes - I need 7 USB ports so I have plugged a Startech powered industrial hub into it and it all works perfectly.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/14759571514320460433/reviews?q=startech+industrial+usb+hub&oq=startech+industrial+usb+hub&aqs=chrome..69i57.21822j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTjfLxnsDTAhUWOsAKHQseDDAQvCQIkQE

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Someone had a batch of those exact USB hubs on eBay last week for £15 each.. ?, not sure if there are any left though...

Hi Christer,

Icron Ranger is a very reliable but expensive option. The 2304 is absolutely great:  http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/cat5/usb-2-0-ranger-2304/

Another very reliable working solution is the Silex DS 600:  http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/products/usb-device-servers/ds-600.html&sid=e173fbf2f8cdf88d0182241f747e272e

Both use cat5,6 or 7 cable. The Icron uses two units, one remote and one at the PC or laptop. The 2304 can handle a lot of USB connections all 4 ports can be conncted to USB hubs, but it is only USB2, but can be used with most USB3  products that are backwards compatible with USB2.
THe Silex has one remote unit,  one USB2 , and one USB3 port. Both can handle one 4-porthub.

The price difference is huge... both work well up to 100 meters with cat cable

Archived