Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter through mist, 10/4/17

mikeDnight

That's a lot of detail! I saw Jupiter briefly through thin cloud at the weekend at 40x in the st80. There were no details just a plain bright disc surrounded by darkness - but it reminded me of looking at the sun through solar viewing spectacles. 

great sketch mike, agreed I had my 127 frac f9.5, 4x powermate, hyp zoom trained on it at about 10pm, the detail was breathtaking, that's the most mag ive beable to use with Jupiter for a long time, trouble was by 10.30pm I was clouded out, but I did have a very good 20mins or so. thanks, charl.

3 hours ago, Piero said:

that's a gorgeous sketch. 

Are white ovals the large white ellipses near the polar regions?  

White ovals can appear anywhere on the disc but generally they are found in the belts, particularly the equatorial belts. The region's near the poles where the oval shaped features are, may have been regions where the zone appeared brighter due to contrast, or they could possibly have been actual ovals beneath the veil of the jovian atmosphere.

Mike 

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:31, Paz said:

That's a lot of detail! I saw Jupiter briefly through thin cloud at the weekend at 40x in the st80. There were no details just a plain bright disc surrounded by darkness - but it reminded me of looking at the sun through solar viewing spectacles. 

Same here looking through my 22x bins . Just a bright blob & no detail.

Archived