Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobsonian skywatcher

fiestazetecmk2

Hi.just thought I'd put this up.as I suffer with with kneck ache and backache during long session I would think most dob users do .mus put a shout out for   neil English for this .so thought I'd try and stop it.with this.hope you like it.i do so much more comfortable. 

20170328_123821.jpg

Looks like a tidy setup, and with adjusters too, Can you still move your scope manually or do you have to use the controls?
I only get a twisted neck when looking straight up through the basic 9x50 finder, otherwise its comfortable for me as I only observe from a seated position.
Not sure I could stand next to my scope, would be just too uncomfortable / un-steady!

Yes you can still move the scope in any direction. The controls allow you track objects much better than trying to nudge  in alt/az. wouldn't be without it .if you get chance to try slow motion then do. I'm sure you would enjoy using it.very simple idea and very easy to build.just transforms the dob.there is a commercial slow motion available it's made in America for around £300.I wasnt prepared to pay out that much as it cost more than the scope ??.so i built my own.it cost me around £55:00 and that was doing it all myself.I know I wouldn't want to use my dobsonion without the controls.and it will last a lifetime and without any electronics breaking down.this is manual  power steering for your dobsonion. 

20170306_113104.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Parts were from my garage .and the local woodyard. You can still turn it like you can normally. You can slew it in any direction. You can track so much better than nudging. There is a kit available from the states it's around £300.if you look on you tube type in zummel zlomotion there is a full demonstration. 

5 minutes ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

You can track so much better than nudging.

Im sure it moves without effort, I'd like to see it myself, but I have always been concerned that we always use the word nudge!
It seems such a coarse method of action that we have to overcome when making any adjustments to the telescope, but potential buyers of these scopes should not be put off by the terminology, because it is what we do, we nudge  the scope  to keep up with the target, but depending on the care and setup of the Dobsonian, they can be nudged effortlessly. My scope glides  and locks into any position with a slight twist on the tension handle.
I can't imagine an easier option, its the reason I changed from a GEM mount to a Dobsonian, unless fiestazetecmk2 has found a better solution?

This is a massive improvement over a std dobsonion. Tracking is so easy and smooth.fine adjustments at your finger tips.I wouldn't want to use it without the slow motion now.I just wonder why skywatcher don't offer a retrofit kit for all dobsonion users.at a reasonable price.

20170408_074253.jpg

Archived