SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Coathanger Asterism

steppenwolf

Almost some clear sky tonight so worth a shot! I have been set up to take an image of Brocchi's Cluster, aka Collinder 399, aka the Coathanger Cluster/Asterism plus a few other names as well but this was the first half decent sky I have had all month........

I took 11 X 400 second subs. but had to discard the last 2 because of cloud drifting in to completely cover the sky above me. Thus the image comprises of 9 subs. of 400 seconds each using my SXVF-M25C and ED 80 Refractor.

coathanger_220808_l.jpg

Very nice clear image with plenty of field stars, and excellent colours. It's nice to be able to pick out the contrast between the red giants at the bottom of the 'hook' (and also the extreme right-hand end of the asterism), and the blue-white giants making up the rest of the cluster.

I just did a bit of looking up, and confirmed what I think I already knew, that Brocchi isn't a true cluster, just an asterism with the component stars at widely separated distances. But all of them are giants and the nearest is over 200 LY.

It would be great, if you're planning another shot, to move your FOV a bit to the east and get in the true cluster NGC 6802 which is just off the left-hand edge of the frame.

Archived