Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Registering RAW images in DSS

I've recently started DSO imaging: Canon EOS 550D (modded), Celestron 9.25 SCT, AVX mount.

I use BYE, save RAW + JPEG to laptop, then process in DSS.

When I go into Register checked images: advanced: compute number of detected stars; I get a decent number (approx 250) if I am registering JPEG images at 2%, but very few, often zero, with RAW images of the same object, no matter where I put the slider.

Am I getting the settings wrong, or is there another answer.

Thank you.

What version of DSS are you using? The old version doesn't like the newer canon camera raw format and will only register the center strip of the image. 

After you've opened a raw image in DSS can you see the whole image or just a portion of it? If so then you'll need to update DSS

Thanks, that could be the answer.

I get a central image strip with RAW, the whole image with JPEG.

I'm using DSS 3.3.2; I've had problems downloading 3.3.4, probably because I need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows (I'm running Windows 7).

It's complicated. I'm a Mac user, so I've had to partition my laptop to run Windows since most astro software is written for Windows.

Archived