SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The quest for Integrated Flux - Part 2

Uranium235

Another night out at the dark site last night allowed me to add another 2.5 hours to this project. Not the best of skies to work with, but the lack of LP more than made up for that. The only snag being that there was a bit of a breeze, and as it was quite an exposed location it made for quite a lumpy PHD graph... but that didnt seem to affect the roundness of the stars much - no surprise at such a short focal length, but if I had something like the 8" out there it would have really struggled.

So, I did a quick process last night before bed and yep, the IFN is coming through a lot better now - the only thing I need to keep an eye on are the bodes and some of the star sizes which start to burn or bloat a little when I really push the data.

I think the next step (now that I have the IFN looking "solid") will be to work on getting the noise down, so more data is required. After that, I will layer in a higher resolution bodes to restore some of the sharpness to those particular targets. With a bit of luck I might get it wrapped up tonight and finally be a fully paid-up member of the IFN club :)

On a side note, I had my little boy with me last night - he was on the Star71/1000d also grabbing some M81/82 photons. The data is yet to be processed, but I took a quick peek and it looks alright - the star colour seems a bit lacking but Im sure I can get him to work on that a little.

4hrs (in a mix of 600 & 900s subs)

Samyang 135mm @ f2, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

To be continued.......

33475692152_62c0812c04_k.jpg

3 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi Uranium235 

Are toy planning to do a super mosaic of that area? :)

I like ghetto image clarity a lot. 

Clear skies. Get that data! 

Probably no mosaic for this area, as I'm finding out just how tough it is! If I could do it from home it wouldn't be so bad, but to get something like this I have to travel.

A resounding success. This really is a pestilence of a target but you have it showing unambiguously.  (Some years ago Peter Shah discussed going after colour for the IFN so, like a fool, I let myself in for some of that as well. Never again!!)

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

A resounding success. This really is a pestilence of a target but you have it showing unambiguously.  (Some years ago Peter Shah discussed going after colour for the IFN so, like a fool, I let myself in for some of that as well. Never again!!)

Olly

Thanks Olly :) some colour would be nice for this but I've got my hands full with the lum as it is. It might be worth me asking round to see if anyone has some - just to see what it would look like. Come to think of it, IFN doesn't really have much colour so it's probably just a case of finding something that will cover the majority (or all if poss) of the fov.

1 hour ago, Uranium235 said:

Thanks Olly :) some colour would be nice for this but I've got my hands full with the lum as it is. It might be worth me asking round to see if anyone has some - just to see what it would look like. Come to think of it, IFN doesn't really have much colour so it's probably just a case of finding something that will cover the majority (or all if poss) of the fov.

I've got some. I'll upload it into Dropbox for you. (This will take more than a few minutes from where we live!!) I won't say anything about what I found regarding the colour. Better for you to process it blind to see what you find. Just PM me a regular email address to send it to. 

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I've got some. I'll upload it into Dropbox for you. (This will take more than a few minutes from where we live!!) I won't say anything about what I found regarding the colour. Better for you to process it blind to see what you find. Just PM me a regular email address to send it to. 

Olly

Superb :) I would be daft to say no to that offer! 

I'm out at the airfield again tonight grabbing the last batch of subs, so it may be tomorrow when I PM you (might not have  the energy when I get home later...lol).

Just trying to amuse myself to pass the time while the subs roll in - looks like I'm dipping into the Red Dwarf collection again tonight... essential astro viewing :D 

2 minutes ago, peter shah said:

so much going on there a great simple set up......One area I've also spent a lot of time on capturing the IFN. This shot really shows the amount IFN coverage...I just love it

Thanks Peter, that means a lot coming from you :) the man who eats IFN for breakfast :D 

This would have been impossisle from my home location, or without that f2 lens, so I have the owner of the airfield to thank for this great place to pitch up - he asked for a copy of the image once it's complete as he has got the taste for astro since I started turning up.

Can't wait until the Summer, when a galactic core project is definitely on the cards.

1 hour ago, Tim said:

After this Rob you'll have to go after the IFN around M31 :)

Yep, I've seen that in only a few images - and Im guessing its tougher (!) that what im doing now. Perhaps worth a shot in the Autumn :)

Archived