SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new mount came home!

The Warthog

My daughter brought my new EQ3 mount and wooden tripod home. All I can say at the moment is, "Wow! What a difference from my old Meade mount." And I've only just put it together. Full report after I get to use it. One question - before I break something, how do I adjust the latitude? I have figured out the azimuth, but I'm not sure how to set the other. I can't find a release or an adjusting knob for it. It is obviously so much better constructed than my old mount.

I know, I know, cloud for a week, now.

Well, there is no visibility outside, but I brought the scope in and put it on the mount. It simply doesn't jiggle when I bump it, or turn the controls. The story will be told when I have objects to look at, but I am extremely happy with it at first glance. My daughter is looking at me like I just arrived from Jupiter. She can't believe her dad is such a nerd.

My daughter is looking at me like I just arrived from Jupiter. She can't believe her dad is such a nerd.

:lol::( I recognise that reaction :p

Glad you're pleased WH. whatever the arguments about scopes it seems money spent on a mount is always money well spent.

Martin

WH

sounds like you have a great mount there. It will make observation and sketching much easier due to the lack of shakes :lol:.

I'm fortunate as my 4 yr old daughter thinks that telescopes etc are great fun.

She'll probably grow out of it but I hope not

I agree with earlier comments - scopes we can argue about but there's no arguing with the fact that a mount upgrade is always going to improve things.

Nice One W.H. ......And lunator your lucky to have a daughter who's interested all my lot are grown up and think their old Dad is the Mad Proff of the old B Movies :lol:

AJ

Maybe it's the white coat and bi-focals?

And the 'Einstein' hair!!

For the winter, I've grown a nice, mad-scientisty goatee. I took several pictures of the mount, but can't get them done until Monday, when I get back to the office. I keep bumping it, and watching it not jiggle. I used to call my old mount, "Pamela Anderson." :lol:

One of the things I want to see, is whether I can focus with this thing, without the image jumping all over the place.

Sure you'll notice a huge improvement WH I know I did when I went from my little EQ1 to my EQ5, mine is also on a wooden tripod I think that helps alot too in damping vibrations much quicker than a steel or aluminium tripod, look forward to your photo's.

Alan :lol:

Sad to say, I am a mostly visual astronomer. I've only done a few afocal shots of the moon, and I may try some widefield when I get the motor for this mount later in the year...

Archived