Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Full Moon :"Washout" of other objects

Hello,

I managed to observe Jupiter tonight with my 76 x 350 Dobsonian, 4mm and 20mm eyepieces and 2x Barlow lens.

Couldn't see any moons around Jupiter - would our own full moon have washed them out and made them harder to see ?

Any thumb rules for calculating/estimating the effect of full moon washout compared to almost no moon at all ?

Bill

You should have been able to see the moons around Jupiter even with the moon out no problem, especially with your 20mm EP quite easily. Not sure why you didn't. I managed to see the moons with a 32mm, 18mm, 14mm, 6mm and 5mm EPS OK. 

21 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

You didn't have any kind of filter fitted to your EPs at all did you? 

I have done that once while looking at jupiter with my old small refractor. It was a dark night so i thought i might get a good view of jupiter. I just could not see much at all, no moons and jupiter itself was just a dim disc. It was only about an hour later after coming in did i realise that i had left the moon filter screwed into the eye piece from a previous session!!

thanks for the advice Gus ........ Tried again tonight .............. unscrewed the moon filter ............. thanks for the tip ....saw 4 little tiny white specks.

Am quite puzzled ........... although I could see the moons I couldn't see the red spot or the bands. A white disc and 3 tiny white dots and one not quite so tiny.

Bill

The GRS transits the planet every 10 hours and is visible for 2-3 of them, can't quite remember. The bands should be visible up around a magnification of 100 and  probably less. They're always visible as long as you have decent magnification and seeing conditions. Sometimes if there are thermal currents in the atmosphere or clouds/vapour, that aren't immediately visible through the eyepiece, the bands might not be visible clearly. 

You need to observe the planet for a little longer. The 2 main equatorial bands should show quite easily but the red spot and other bands and details are somewhat harder to discern and require some study of the planet. Over a period of an hour or so the eye adjusts to the brightness and contrast and stars to pick out these more subtle details.

Archived