Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iOS 10 red screen and shortcut

HN50

Hi,

This probably old hat to everyone, but I found out about a setting in iOS 10 that allows you to do a full red screen; I know astronomy apps have a night vision mode but I find the keyboard is normal light in  skyguide, or else I accidentally press the home key.

It also lists a shortcut to set the red screen via pressing the home key three times in quick succession.

Anyway, the details are in the link below.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/keep-your-night-vision-sharp-with-ios-10s-hidden-red-screen-0173903/

Dave

wow nice tip :)

I'd given up on a software solution and bought some rubylith that I inserted in my iphone case. I had too many "oops" with the software solution where I'd ruin my night vision because of some pop up or just pressing home of some stupid thing... with your solution, I can get back to a software solution :) thanks!

Just confirmed it works exactly the same on iPad - I tend to use that more often on a longer session as it's easier to see things and use the controls. 

Not that I've used anything much recently as the weather has been so awful...!

just a little note, you can still lose night adapated vision even with a red screen if the brightness is high. So not only changing it to red is a good idea but lowering the brigthness to minimum is imperative. as a side note, I've read that red is not necessarily the best color...

http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

Archived