Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron advanced vx mount.

Hi. 

I see celestron has a equalent of the famous heq5. Avx has low cost, 2inch tripod, pec and all star polar alignment. It's latitude range and aspa is good for my latitude. 

I can't find much reviews on it. 

I would like to know about the mount from some members of sgl :)

Rajesh 

3 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi. 

I see celestron has a equalent of the famous heq5. Avx has low cost, 2inch tripod, pec and all star polar alignment. It's latitude range and aspa is good for my latitude. 

I can't find much reviews on it. 

I would like to know about the mount from some members of sgl :)

Rajesh 

The Celestron AVX is a revised and improved version of the CG 5GT.

I have been using an AVX for my imaging for the last 3 years. I find it very easy to use and (so far) reliable. It holds my 120ED quite happliy for long exposure imaging. I have used it with my C9.25 for planetary imaging and short exposure DSOs. Good mount IMO.

Peter

I owned a Celestron AVX for a few months. I'm not an equatorial mount fan but I thought the AVX was as good as any I have tried. It carried my large 130mm F/9.2 refractor well and was simple to set up and operate. I did not use the GOTO facility though because I can find my way around the sky without it.

The only oddity that I came across was the polar scope which when installed (it's not supplied as standard) was very difficult to view through because of the protruding latitude bolt. If I had kept the mount for longer I would have needed to fit a right angle viewer of some sort to the polar scope if I wanted to use it.

The re-design seems to have added quite a bit to it's capacity over the CG5, which I have also owned a while back.

9 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

I don't feel the polar scope is necessary with the aspa... Main use will be for astrophotography tho. 

For astrophotography accurate polar alignment is very important.

For visual (which is what I do) aligning Polaris through the RA axis was fine for general tracking. For accurate GOTO I think the polar scope would be helpful.

4 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

ASPA will get you a good PA without a Polar Scope or you could invest in a Polemaster ster.

Peter

I only need the adapter. I can use the local clubs :)

Can you'll post your setup images :)

Rajesh 

Edit

Does anyone know how low can I go in latitude by placing the mount between tripod legs? 

Archived