Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which telescope to buy

59 minutes ago, David86 said:

Is the Meade 114eq-astr a good biginer's telescope? Does it need collimation or is complicated to setup? I'm sorry for my ignorance guys! 

From the pictures on line it looks like another Jones-Bird design so I would suggest it probably isn't good for anyone, except Meade's accountants. If a Newtonian (reflector) has a focal length that appears to be about twice as long as the tube then I would avoid it. 

Any reflector will need collimation but it is not really something to worry about too much. It may seem difficult the first time but there are many guides to help you through it. As for set up being complicated an eq is slightly more complicated but that isn't really much of a worry either. The issue with a reflector and eq mount is the rotation of the eyepiece as the telescope arcs across the sky. For that reason I would suggest an alt/az mount over an eq if possible, although that is easier said ths done at the sort of price points we're talking about it. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have narrowed down my search to the Skyliner 200P or the Celestron nextar 127 SLT. Which one will be the best option?

I noticed that the skyliner does not come with a tripod-like mount and its base is very close to the ground. 

Hi David,

good job in getting it down to 2 :) 

i think the basic difference is that one has motors and tracking and the other does not. Therefore if the photography is important the 127SLT is the one I would pick.

The dobsonian isn't really a good choice for photography but the 8" will reveal more stuff and you don't need to mess with power and cabling. It's a great visual scope.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I think I will get the skyliner since it has a much larger aperture. Is it possible to mount this telescope in some sort a tripod mount? I know it is pretty heavy but its base is too close to the ground.

I too have a 127 SLT, and started off not knowing exactly what I wanted. Had it 3 years now and I still thinks it's the right choice.

However, to get the best from it you'll need to spend more than $400.

You'll need a power pack if out in the field, or an AC adapter. The rdf is a bit naff so also bought a 9x50 finder.

I also thought having goto would speed things up, but it still took a good 20 minutes dragging scope out, attaching all the cables (I control by a PC) levelling and then aligning and focusing.

The best thing I purchased was one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H27JWLW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487527590&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=keter+outdoor+storage&dpPl=1&dpID=41M2EfVQgPL&ref=plSrch

Houses my scope, a mini Intel nuc PC to control the scope and cameras. I have an asi224mc attached to the mak, and a DSLR attached to the mak with one of these

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-39-Piggyback-39-Camera-Mount-for-Skywatcher-127-/401252915925?txnId=602781421027

Use the modded 1100d DSLR with zoom lens for widefield, and also remotely aligning (tried a finder guider and web cam, pain the bum) and the 224mc for smaller DSO, a Barlow for planets or a focal reducer for other small DSO.

I can leave my scope in park, and be up and capturing within minutes (focus might need a tweak if temp changes)

I very rarely use my scope for visual, once youve seen one grey smudge you've seen them all.

Check out the alt az photography thread, there are some spectacular images there using the £100 SLT mount (I've yet to contribute to it!)

14 minutes ago, David86 said:

Thanks Alan.

I think I will get the skyliner since it has a much larger aperture. Is it possible to mount this telescope in some sort a tripod mount? I know it is pretty heavy but its base is too close to the ground.

Can you explain the problem you see with the base too close to the ground? Are you on a hillside, what's the issue?

here is a thread you may like to read

The 200p tube is big (4ft long) and would need an expensive EQ mount to hold it steady.

3 hours ago, David86 said:

Thanks Alan.

This has been covered in this thread, this thread and this thread before.  Try a water butt stand to jack up the base a bit.

My first point would that a 12" will gather twice as much light as the 8" so yes, it will be able to show many more fainter objects than the 8".

Before you buy a 12" as a "first scope" be sure to go see it "in the flesh". It will be a BIG scope and will take more time to setup and more space to store away.

If you plan to transport it to a dark site with darker skies then make sure its not too big for your car/truck.

My second point would be to do some research on the free accessories that you are being offered... free accessories are not necessarily great accessories :(

Alan

13 hours ago, BGazing said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

As for the inevitable second purchase, for the love of it I cannot find a diagram which depicted money spent on one axis and enjoyment on the other...but it tops out between 1500-2500 euros. Above that there are some diminishing returns.

found it...

article is here, and here is the diagram

TelescopeValue.png

1 hour ago, alanjgreen said:

My first point would that a 12" will gather twice as much light as the 8" so yes, it will be able to show many more fainter objects than the 8".

Before you buy a 12" as a "first scope" be sure to go see it "in the flesh". It will be a BIG scope and will take more time to setup and more space to store away.

If you plan to transport it to a dark site with darker skies then make sure its not too big for your car/truck.

My second point would be to do some research on the free accessories that you are being offered... free accessories are not necessarily great accessories :(

Alan

I was under the wrong impression that the bigger the aperture was the better the objects will be seen at the eyepiece. 

Would the planets and moon look better on the 8" or the 12"?

The accessories are a couple of different size lenses and a Barlow. 

Hi David,

I am not sure why you think you have the wrong impression? Both planets & moon will have better resolution in a 12" scope.

The only negative for planets/moon is that a 12" will be more affected by the earths atmospheric conditions so you may have atmospheric turbulance to deal with (wobbly view). But on a good night the 12" will show many more craters & planetary details than the 8" can.

Alan

I agree that a 12" will show more than an 8" in terms of planetary and lunar detai when conditions are good but the difference is not as striking on such targets as it is when viewing deep sky objects where the additional aperture really does deliver very tangible dividends.

My ED120 refractor often delivers lunar and planetary views that are suprisingly close to those that my 12" dobsonian delivers, given the pretty substantial aperture difference.

bigger is always better, except when you cannot be bothered to get the behemoth out or pack it in the car.

just realized that the OP is based in miami. his problem will be humidity, not bad seeing. from what i have heard, florida seeing is some of the best, so planets and the moon should be excellent targets. transparency, on the other hand, not so sure how those DSOs look in such constant humidity. perhaps someone from florida will chip in.

so a nice catadiopter would really shine on planets, as would a refractor, but i reckon some dew strips are a must. if the OP does not intend to travel often outside miami and its light pollution, i'd say go for a nice refractor or a catadiopter along the lines of those already proposed.

I got the Meade Lightbridge but it was a 10" not 12", which is ok anyway. Now I just have to learn how to use it. I have your get one laser to collimate it.

Is that "bag" they sell to cover the trusses needed? Does it improve anything? 

I assume you mean the "shroud", I would say that its very worthwhile addition. It keeps stray light away from the primary mirror. It should also help keep dust off the primary mirror. May also improve "contrast" in the image.

If you intend to setup early and leave outside then also research the "scope covers" from astrosystems (USA). I have one of these and they are great to leave on while the scope and mirror cool to the ambient outside temperature.

https://www.astrosystems.biz/covers.htm

Please also be aware that unless you are buying a Howie Glatter laser, you may be better off with a "cheshire eyepiece" for collimation. At lot of lasers are not themselves well collimated, so you need to collimate the laser before you can collimate your scope :( -

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/premium-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

Dont rush into collimation, wait until you have had a night out and done a "star test" to see if the scope needs it first.

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/feature/how-guide/how-star-test-telescope

http://www.backyardastronomy.com/Backyard_Astronomy/Downloads_files/Appendix A-Testing.pdf  -try not to be distracted by the guys radiation sickness in the photo :happy7:)

Seek out "astrobabys collimation guide" when the time comes.

https://stargazerslounge.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=241871

But most of all, focus on enjoying your scope and don't get bogged down in all this other stuff until "another day" :) 

First task is to fit the finder scope, and then use some daytime/daylight to get the scope and the finder pointing at the same place. Point the scope at a distant object seen through the 25mm eyepiece, then use the adjusters on the finder to move to the same place in the view. Switch to the 10mm eyepiece and repeat...

Remember to setup the scope up early and leave it outside for the mirror to cool down, this will improve your view (30mins to an hour should do)

I found the light shroud essential when I had a Meade 12" Lightbridge. It kept stray light off the mirrors (which reduces contrast) and kept my body heat out of the light path on cold nights.

I hope you enjoy your 10" LB :icon_biggrin:

Archived