Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Water Butt Dob stand

So after having had and seen several recommendations I've had a bash at a water-butt stand 'riser' for my new Dob.

The base wasn't quite big enough for the Dob's feet - they'd have gone on, but it wasn't 'secure' so I've added a bit of 'marine' plyboard with three coach bolts to the top and reinforced any gaps underneath with more board.  I've built what I intended to (and quite pleased with myself to have done so), but it is fair to say that there is a little 'flex' in the system from the movement in the plastic walls of the stand that the dob stand alone doesn't have.  Can anyone see this as a problem with the motorised drive on the system please?  It is quite strong though - I can easily jump up and down on it.    I must admit it has lifted the telescope to more easily 'used' less back-breaking height and this is a def. plus point.  So have I built roughly what other people have and can you see it working please?

Waterbutt Dobmount.jpg

7 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

You could fill the stand with concrete, that would make it completely stable and remove any flex. Make sure it's in the right place first!

and make sure it has 'gorn off' before you turn it upside down :D

Oh, but then you wouldnt need to upsidown it ? Oh, what about filling it with sand the right way up and using the ply to brace/finish off ? Drain holes in case, & you could scoop the sand out if needed to move ?

Sorry, just random thoughts aloud ! looking v.good as is.

Thanks all.  I hadn't considered filling it with something, but it is a good idea if I find it moves too much.  It is easy enough to fit the ply onto the top, but I guess it is possible to also turn it upside down and fill it with something if I have some way of attaching the plyboard/flat surface to the other side,  Mind you some long bits of wood screwed to the plyboard like legs and dug into the filling might serve - there is no edge on the base to screw anything into, but a system that bolts all the way through might work - I'll have a think if I run into problems.  Mind you I have high hopes for a clear evening tonight so I might get a chance to try it out.

Dan - Great minds and all that I ordered an adjustable stool for observing yesterday!!  Kind of a belt and braces decision.

I might have to look into giving something like this a go. I don't know if anyone else has noticed but it seems to me that standing is warmer than sitting. I can only assume it is something to do with compressing layers when sitting and losing the air pockets. 

I bought a stand to keep the scope off the ground when away from the house, the local stores only stocked a medium so  I would need to order in their largest version,  which would have cost more for delivery than the stand itself? however the focuser became  an issue, too high off the ground, and I don't like to stand at the scope,  I have a £30 (just under)  Drum throne stool from Gear4music, which suits my requirements.  My  stand now supports a  water butt, and considering the amount and the weight of water these things  carry, I`m surprised you have some flex? 

So I got to try it last night.  It's def. useable, but there does seem to me to be a small added motion as the motor tracked which I'm going to try to solve as I liked the extra height, it doesn't make it unusable for viewing, but won't help photography.  So we have some cementing due in a few weeks when the frosts go and I'll try getting some cement inside it - I'm always keen to find jobs for my cement mixer - another of those things that not many ladies own, but I have my own cement mixer and its been really useful.  Until then I'll pack some Gravel and bricks around it and hold it as still as possible as I think I want to keep the height that I've achieved - I might try drilling a hole and hanging a heavy weight of something inside the centre of it - that might help.

Archived