NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stolen scope heads up

bottletopburly

There's no limit to the depths some so called human beings will stoop to.
Obviously this was deliberately targeted. I would be very disheartened if the thief turned out to be 
an Amateur astronomer, I would like to believe we are all above that sort of behaviour.
Very sad indeed.

Luckily I think this type of crime is rare and news spreads fast in the astro community so selling it on may be difficult.

I noticed there was no detailed description of the stolen scope on ab & b other than a 12 inch Newtonian. Are there any photos or better descriptions?

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

I can offer further information about this stolen scope. It was made by Rob Miller of the then Astrosystems in Luton of which I was also a director. It is a 12" F3.5 photographic Newtonian with a full aperture optical window to support the secondary. The optics were by David Hinds. Very few of these were made so it would not be difficult to recognise. The deceased owner was known to me but I only recently found out the connection. 

Not good to see that this theft has occured  ..... but good to see this posted here.  

I have sometimes wondered whether there is more we could do to recover stolen kit if the worst happened. Has anyone tried those UV marker pens?  Are they any good, or are they easily removed?  Is it worth having a photographic inventory of all your kit? 

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

I can offer further information about this stolen scope. It was made by Rob Miller of the then Astrosystems in Luton of which I was also a director. It is a 12" F3.5 photographic Newtonian with a full aperture optical window to support the secondary. The optics were by David Hinds. Very few of these were made so it would not be difficult to recognise. The deceased owner was known to me but I only recently found out the connection. 

maybe worth updating the astrobuy and sell notice

Archived