Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Mk IV Zoom

DRT

I took delivery of one of these from FLO this morning.

This is what comes in the box...

IMG_0156.jpg

And here is the zoom next to an International Standard Eyepiece Measure...

IMG_0157.jpg

It does seem significantly lighter and smaller than the Mk III and the range of accessories supplied as standard is impressive, particularly as most EPs come with none at all.

I haven't used it yet but in the meantime I thought those with an interest might like to read the little booklet that comes with the package...

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

I will report back when I have had the chance to use it.

7 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

So that's it! It was rumoured that you were buying a 14" observatory scope.... :D From the proceeds made from selling your family. :D 

:grin:

this was just a little treat to cheer myself up after selling all that lovely kit :wink: 

I'm hoping to use it with my Lunt 50 Ha if I ever see the Sun again! It will also fit into my travel kit. 

7 minutes ago, John said:

Does it have the same optics as the Mk III's in it or have they been upgraded ?

According to the info posted by FLO in their announcement thread it is just wearing a new frock - the inner bits are all identical to the Mk III.

3 minutes ago, DRT said:

According to the info posted by FLO in their announcement thread it is just wearing a new frock - the inner bits are all identical to the Mk III.

Thanks Derek.

Does the eye guard rotate during zooming?  This made it difficult to use the older versions with the winged eye guard, especially when binoviewing with two of them.  You had to remove the eye guard, zoom, and then put the eye guard back on.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently on the used waiting list for one of these. I had considered the MKIII for some time but the weight 440g (I believe) put me off the idea of investing too much in one due to possible balancing issues. With the MKIV tipping the scales at only 290g in comparison and slimmer dimensionally it sounds ideal. I do have to beg the question though how can they use the same optics if the MKIII was bigger and heavier?? 

2 hours ago, spaceboy said:

I'm currently on the used waiting list for one of these. I had considered the MKIII for some time but the weight 440g (I believe) put me off the idea of investing too much in one due to possible balancing issues. With the MKIV tipping the scales at only 290g in comparison and slimmer dimensionally it sounds ideal. I do have to beg the question though how can they use the same optics if the MKIII was bigger and heavier?? 

Maybe they switched the body from brass to either aluminum or perhaps a Delrin type of plastic?  Either makes for an amazingly light eyepiece.  Siebert uses aluminum, and Russell uses Delrin here in the States for their respective eyepiece barrels and housings.  Delrin is also nice because it doesn't feel cold to the touch on bitterly cold nights.

OK regards weight you can switch from one material to another making something lighter but they are also slimmer. Not sure to what degree but why would you make the MKIII any bigger than it needed to be if it is proved possible to make the MKiV slimmer with the same optics ?? Surely to make it slimmer the optics would inevitably have to be slimmer (different) also ?? Would be interesting to see an x-ray of both the MKIII & MKIV. I know it was done with the ES 100° and ethos so it is something that's done.

Having held a Mk IV and owned a few of the Mk III's I thought the Mk IV was pretty much the same size. The optics looked the same (same diameter eye and field lens as far as I could see). I'd not call the Mk IV a major revision but the reduction in weight will be welcome especially if you are going to use a pair in a binoviewer. 

Incidently, TV slimmed the 13mm Ethos down a few mm after the initial production run. Apparently this was to improve their practicality for binoviewing. I've not see a "fat" and "thin" 13 Ethos side by side to compare them though. Mine was a relatively early one.

Archived