Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP NIGHTCAP PRO

Hey SGLers , I recently got a iPhone adapter and thought I would try and take a few shots and share with you guys what im seeing.

PLEASE HELP!

as you can all see below is Jupiter and its Galilean moons ,

some photos are really bright and others are abit clearer but also have some glow.....

i couldn't even up my mag for more detail due to the issues I'm having,

i will be completely honest I don't even know how I cleared some of them a little bit and I don't know if I could do it again ....

i know nothing of 

exposure, white balance, long exposure , light trails , Iso boost shutters speed and anything else you can think of.

So any advice would be a god send....

had a great session tho ??????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jupiter just looks over exposed to me. If you lower the exposure or turn off ISO boost / gain. I got rid of my iPhone recently so can help with the exact names of things, but you need to do whatever you can to lower the brightness. 

Ant

9 minutes ago, Ant said:

Mars doesn't look too bad. 

Jupiter just looks over exposed to me. If you lower the exposure or turn off ISO boost / gain. I got rid of my iPhone recently so can help with the exact names of things, but you need to do whatever you can to lower the brightness. 

Ant

Thanks ant I will look at that setting now, really appreciate your reply.

any other advice people have please fire away

What is your telescope and Mount,  and what power eyepiece are you using Nathan?
Your Adaptor I take it connects to the scopes focuser, with the phones camera
lens as close to the eyepiece as you can get it?

I would suggest Mars and Jupiter are two difficult targets for your phone.
Afocal Astro. Photography is fairly difficult with a phone camera, it's hard enough with conventional cameras
However, I have seen some quite splendid results on the Moon, perhaps you could Hone your skills 
on the Moon, It will be an easier subject for you to tackle.   When you master that,
you can try again on the Planets. 

10 minutes ago, barkis said:

What is your telescope and Mount,  and what power eyepiece are you using Nathan?
Your Adaptor I take it connects to the scopes focuser, with the phones camera
lens as close to the eyepiece as you can get it?

I have the SWE130p eq2 mount and yes my adapter connects to the eye piece and x65

just to note my ISO boost was originally on high so I'm going to try off and low as our friend above suggested. 

I wasn't able to see the moon where I was , infact I don't even think it was out. 

Im rather happy with the top two pictures for my first attempt with no knowledge at all.

so I think with settings advice I will be satisfied with my images I take for now

i will also me taking shots of the moon but I won't be able to help trying the planets too ...

so again any knowledge of any settings above would be great everyone ...

thanks for your post mate 

13 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

It would not hurt you to learn basic photographic terms and what they mean to help you understand what effects what and how you might use it with your afocal imaging.

I agree mate and I sure will,

i have also found the people and knowledge on here very helpful also,

it was my first ever try and the first time I thought about the likes of setting and such. 

I will be reading up on it but it also helps to hear things from a person in 'normal conversation terms' rather then someone trying to sound professional on a online write up.....

i remember not long ago when I was first reading about my scope and mount before I discovered this site and the information online just wrecked my head , I learnt more on SGL in my first week of joining then I did in two months of online research , everyone is helpful here and the joy about actually speaking to someone about it is that if you don't understand or can't grasp on something you have read you can question to the person to make it clearer ?

2 hours ago, Nathan UK said:

I have the SWE130p eq2 mount and yes my adapter connects to the eye piece and x65

just to note my ISO boost was originally on high so I'm going to try off and low as our friend above suggested. 

I wasn't able to see the moon where I was , infact I don't even think it was out. 

Im rather happy with the top two pictures for my first attempt with no knowledge at all.

so I think with settings advice I will be satisfied with my images I take for now

i will also me taking shots of the moon but I won't be able to help trying the planets too ...

so again any knowledge of any settings above would be great everyone ...

thanks for your post mate 

It goes without saying Nathan, that Astronomy is a game of patience,
and that applies in spades in the Astro Photography department.
My colleagues in the Mod Team have shown enormous patience waiting for me to 
get started. So, you are not alone, but there is always help here for you.

36 minutes ago, barkis said:

It goes without saying Nathan, that Astronomy is a game of patience,
and that applies in spades in the Astro Photography department.
My colleagues in the Mod Team have shown enormous patience waiting for me to 
get started. So, you are not alone, but there is always help here for you.

Thanks mate.....

i would hardly call my afocal astrophotographery compared to some of the set ups you guys have,

and patience is a quality I do have, 

it took a lot of patience and time to be able to find things other then the moon haha now I'm comfy navigating through the stars.

i would really like to be able to show you guys a little detail when I add pics to my obs reports tho,

although I don't expect a fraction of the quality some of you guys can produce with the equipment you's have

12 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

Thank you everyone that's commented, I have Sussed out the camera app now so hopefully I will get better shots of Jupiter in the early hours

Nathan

Looking forward to seeing what you can do (and to hearing how you did it).  Have fun!

Helen

Once you have the settings right for what you are imaging see if there is a timer function so you can remove wobble from you taking the exposure, it will be like a 10 second delay option, you may even be able to delay the shutter and get a series of exposures taken you can later pick the best one.

12 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Once you have the settings right for what you are imaging see if there is a timer function so you can remove wobble from you taking the exposure, it will be like a 10 second delay option, you may even be able to delay the shutter and get a series of exposures taken you can later pick the best one.

Yes mate there is a timer and a shutter function. 

Thanks

All these posts in and no one has suggested getting Making Every Photon Count yet?! :)

I appreciate you may not be wanting to get too deep into astro imaging but I think it is a worthwhile read for anyone with even a passing interest in it. 

Look on the FLO website in their book section. Worth every penny. 

And for the record I think they're pretty good efforts given what they are taken with. Bear in mind Jupiter is 630 odd million miles away I still find it mind blowing we can get even images like this of it. 

5 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

All these posts in and no one has suggested getting Making Every Photon Count yet?! :)

I appreciate you may not be wanting to get too deep into astro imaging but I think it is a worthwhile read for anyone with even a passing interest in it. 

Look on the FLO website in their book section. Worth every penny. 

And for the record I think they're pretty good efforts given what they are taken with. Bear in mind Jupiter is 630 odd million miles away I still find it mind blowing we can get even images like this of it. 

Thanks buddy will check that out

Archived