Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light-Meade 10" SCT

Well this is probably going to be the most disappointing first light report you ever read but I'm writing it mainly to demonstrate to beginners that this wonderful hobby of ours can be frustrating and hard work. 

A break in the clouds last night meant I could get first light on my newly acquired Meade 10" SCT which I've lovingly fitted out with a 2" Moonlite focuser and a nice SW 32mm 2" EP for lowish (by SCT  standards at least) viewing. Stat celestial delights awaited me. 

After a half hour fight just trying to mount the damned thing I went through my mounts alignment process. Here the frustrating began. Half the stars it suggested I didn't know and the other half were either hidden behind houses and other immovable objects or in line of sight of street lights. Finally I identified the first target star and we were away. 

Well by away I mean the guide scope was a long way from being centred so having lined the star up it was no where to be seen in the scope's EP. Perseverance was required and eventually I had my first star only to have to repeat the process for the second star. 

Alignment complete I thought I'd start of with M42. Not the ideal scope for it I know but I recognise it and I thought I'd at least give it a go. So I inputted M42 into my controller and the mount dutifully slewed to some random point in the sky. Damn, oh well let's repeat the whole alignment process eh seeing as it went so well first time round. 

Second attempt was better so I thought I'd keep things simple and have a look at Betelgeuse. Ok this time I was definitely on target but couldn't see a thing. The scope was collimated when I picked it up but it must have been knocked out in the drive home. 

So the next hour was spent on Betelgeuse trying to collimate the scope whist slowly getting frostbite in my hands.

Finally the scope was collimated and as a bonus the corrector had completely fogged up so there was nothing to do but pack up and get in to the warm. 

So all the excitement of a new scope and I got to see one star badly for most of the session. 

That said I learned a lot a) about the scope and b. about the mount which is still new to me. 

So, if you're new to the hobby just be aware things don't always go to plan-its not easy, you don't always get to see the wonders of the universe but you always learn and then things go better next time (I hope!).

Keep at it, the star alignment instructions in the manual are a bit naf.

I find the best way is to level it as best you can,  Polar align and then just GoTo a star that you know, centre it with the hand control and sync on it by holding down enter until it beeps and confirms its synced.

It should then GoTo well enough to get your target  in the finder.

Have you got it mounted Alt / Az or on a wedge ?

Dave

Nice report showing how frustrating it can be. I had a similar first light fiasco with a new Sky-T ll mount and 120 ED Scope. Set up mount and tripod indoors no problem. Went out and mounted scope. Easy . Looked at random star. Wow lovely crisp view. Moved to M42 and the altitude kept slipping. After an hour of frustration I gave up.

A quick post on here gave lots of helpful suggestions. A quick session with a screw driver and everything was perfect trying it out indoors. Not had a clear night since and it's now 3 weeks later. 

7 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Keep at it, the star alignment instructions in the manual are a bit naf.

I find the best way is to level it as best you can,  Polar align and then just GoTo a star that you know, centre it with the hand control and sync on it by holding down enter until it beeps and confirms its synced.

It should then GoTo well enough to get your target  in the finder.

Have you got it mounted Alt / Az or on a wedge ?

Dave

The alignment was entirely my fault. I just didn't do it very well! The mount is an AZ EQ6 and I was in EQ mode simply because I want to start imaging so I want to get used to aligning it properly. 

Going forward when I am doing a purely visual session I'll just chuck it up in AZ mode. 

To be honest I wasn't too disappointed-I know these things happen. My post was more to highlight to beginners in particular that things don't always go to plan in this hobby. 

I think people by a scope sometimes, have an experience like mine the first couple of times and then just give up. You need to persevere in this hobby to move forward. 

1 hour ago, ngwillym said:

SCTs benefit greatly from a dew shield (make out of a camping mat) and dew heater

Ordered one this morning :).

May have accidentally added a QHY PoleMaster to the basket at the same time but that's for another report :)

Aligning GoTo 'scopes can be daunting at first, before you get used to the process.  I'm not familiar with the Meade system, but with my Celestron, I always align by choosing two (or even just one) star, rather than letting the 'scope default to something out of view.

Lousy sessions are part of the experience and the learning; good sessions more than make up for those!

Doug.

Archived