SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2" accessory recommendations

Thanks to recommendations from this forum, I recently purchased a Bresser AR-102s/600 refractor.
(I apologise for the rubbish weather lately, it is obviously my fault. :( )

The supplied (1.25in) diagonal is very cheap, all-plastic construction. Even the barrels. And I would like to upgrade as soon as possible.
This telescope accepts 2" accessories, so I want to begin by getting a decent diagonal, then upgrade eyepieces later.

I had my eye on a William Optics 2" Dielectric Diagonal, but then saw an Altair Quartz Dielectric Diagonal 2" Push-fit for almost half the price.
Altair also make a 2" Lightwave Premium Dielectric Diagonal, which falls roughly in the middle of the price range.

I've heard very good things about the Williams Optics diagonal.
My question is what are the Altair like. And is it worth spending the extra, for what is a relatively "budget" range OTA?

Recommendations for 2" eypieces that I should consider are also welcome.

Thanks.

I've owned and used a clone of the Altair Quartz 2" dielectric (branded Revelation) and it performed very well with my ED120 refractor. I've also owned a William Optics Dielectric and found it performed identically to the Altair / Revelation but was a touch heavier. I don't know the Lightwave Premium diagonal but its performance is most likely about the same again. Perhaps it's a case of going for which ever you like the looks of most or is the least expensive ?

On 2" eyepieces, you really only need one I guess ?. 2" eyepieces show wider fields at low magnifications but there is no advantage to using them for medium to higher magnifications so mostly 1.25" eyepieces are used for those purposes. A 40mm / 70 degree 2" eyepiece would show about as much sky as any 2" eyepiece can - around 4.6 degrees of sky in your 102mm / 600mmFL refractor.

And I have just bought the premium Altair. Not had chance to use it but the quality of the construction etc is spot on. Little more expensive than the others but still well within the realms of reasonable. 

Adam at RVO highly recommended it to go with the Moonlite focuser I bought at the same time. 

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/altair-astro-lightwave-2-dielectric-diagonal-push-fit.html

Allegedly going to be clear tomorrow night so happy to report how I find it in use. 

3 hours ago, Rijidij said:

I had my eye on a William Optics 2" Dielectric Diagonal, but then saw an Altair Quartz Dielectric Diagonal 2" Push-fit for almost half the price.

I have the OPT branded BK7 version of the GSO made Altair diagonal above.  It is excellent.  I've never noticed any issues with it.  I don't know that the quartz version buys you a significant advantage over the BK7 version, but it's only $19 more here in the States.  Interestingly, the BK7 version gets consistently better reviews than the quartz version at Agena Astro, mostly due to mechanical issues with the latter.  I would have thought that the mechanicals of the two would have been identical.

For 1.25", I use the William Optics 1.25" Dielectric Diagonal W/ Carbon Fiber Plates.  Again, an excellent diagonal with which I have no complaints.  I also have a cheap plastic body with metal tubes mirror diagonal which is positively dreadful.

I too have a 2" Altair star diagonal that I purchased during the last quarter of 2016 from a fellow SGL'er, albeit the one for SCT's.

I have not used it yet due to work commitments, and clear skies when I am working at silly o'clock. It does look good and as per Knighty2112 says, "... The 1.25" adapter that comes with it sits flush in the diagonal too, so you lose only a minimal of back focus when using 1.25' EPs..." - all my eyepieces and accessories are 1.25"

Archived