(Silly) Velcro Question

Alan White

A bit of a silly question; but here goes.

I want to fit velcro onto my tripod to hold my new dew controller etc.

Do you put the fluffy tape on the tripod and hooks tape on the tripod?
What have you done and why?

I can forsee things getting caught on the hooked tape, so was wondering what works best......often best to not re-invent the wheel I have found.

Thanks in advance for you input, Alan

From a stickiness point of view, this makes no difference, of course but I always put the softer (fluffy) part on the fixed (larger) part of the equipment otherwise it will quickly snag on material brushing against it and get clogged up with lint.

We used these to fix our old dew controller unit onto the centre of an ADM dual bar 

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=11700&type=2&ext=252666484841&item=252666484841

You only need one strip to hold it in place - it can be removed easily and crucially didn't appear to be affected by damp unlike stick and stick Velcro.

PS - not sure what is going on here as I pasted a link to the Amazon page for the Command Picture Hanging Strips - every time I do it it gets changed to an expired Ebay page for the same product

21 hours ago, gnomus said:

I've had limited success with the self adhesive velcro.  I think the moisture gets to the glue because after a short time the pads fall off my equipment.

I had the same problem.  I resorted to cable ties on the leg of the tripod and epoxy glue to attach the strip to the controller.  

John

IMG_2774.JPG

To ensure that your stick on velcro "sticks", clean the area where you want to put it with ISA or acetone, dry with paper kitchen towel, and then warm up the adhesive (remove the protective backing) by using a hair dryer (or warm over a low hob heat, CAREFULLY!!!). You'll know when the temp is right as it will soften, and then apply directly and quickly to the item. DO NOT USE the item until the pad has cooled. It should now stick like the proverbial.

Failing that, I sometimes use a smear of contact adhesive (UHU POR) for real long lasting adhesion for heavier items. Apply only to the rear of the velcro evenly, then place the velcro where you want it to sit finally, remove it once the adhesive has transferred to the other item, and then let the adhesive that is now on both items dry (usually 10 mins if not too thick), and then apply carefully. Now if that doesn't stick and pulls off, then the  item your'e trying to hang with it is too heavy.

I use Velcro for a lot of things. But my basic rule is to put the loop side to the stationary, and use the hook side as my removable part.

That way, if the hook part does get contaminated with fluff, I can easily take it to my compressed air hose and blow the whatzit off for the most part.

I have various pieces on my mount's legs for cable securing when desired. When it isn't in use, I leave the strips attached which also protects the halves, and keeps the strips handy.

I also have some Velcro straps I use for other things. I think Velcro is as handy as shoe laces, or pockets.

I put the fuzzy side on the object that I attach and remove.  This is personal preference.

The idea is that if I pick it up, and my finger lands on the velcro, it's got a nicer texture than the hook part.

I tend to have the hooks on my telescope OTA and the tripod.

Archived