Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher auto focuser

I had the electric focuser on my 150P and found it a really useful add on. For fitting to a Dob you need to make sure the rubber covered focuser wheels are held by grub screws as I had a discussion recently with a supplier about this and understand some of the current dobs don't have removable wheels.

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

The only problems I have found is even at its fastest setting it is very slow to reach focus. Also when fitted you can not disconnect the focuser drive, so manual focussing is not available to you.

+1 Same here. Ended up ditching the auto focuser (in a drawer somewhere) and upgrading the focuser.

Fitted one to a SW 130P, had to do a small amount of engineering work (drill out the connector to 6mm) but nothing you couldn't do with a black & decker. Yes it's a bit slow and you do loose the manual focus but well worth it you can see how your getting on rather than waiting for the OTA to stop vibrating

1 hour ago, BXRO said:

Fitted one to a SW 130P, had to do a small amount of engineering work (drill out the connector to 6mm) but nothing you couldn't do with a black & decker. Yes it's a bit slow and you do loose the manual focus but well worth it you can see how your getting on rather than waiting for the OTA to stop vibrating

Agree it's a bit slow but my eyepieces are more or less parfocal so once initially focused I didn't find this a problem and as you say it does away trying to focus on an image that is jumping around all over the place. 

I fitted the electric focuser onto my 200P (why do they call it an auto-focuser?) and found it a good update. Yes it is a bit on the slow side even when the knob is turned to 'Fast', but really that is a minor consideration. You will find that you can reach critical focus a lot easier than with the standard focusing mechanism.

Archived