Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello, new here. Just bought a telescope, always wanted to have one and have a look at the planet's and stars however I'm having no luck. I've put the telescope up and used the focus lens on top to line up to a lamp post yet when looking through the main telescope I see nothing. I managed to line up the main part of the telescope with the same lamp post but all I could see was my eye lids and lashes. I have got both caps off the main front of the telescope and also inserted the two lenses. I haven't yet used it in the day time to line up to further objects and I have not yet looked at the moon. You can only see a couple of stars in the sky at the moment By eye  What can I do? 

You need to focus the main scope on a distant object - a lamp post may be too close - these scopes are made for viewing deep into space. Try on a church spire or pylon tip a mile or so away. You only use one eyepiece - try the longest one first (highest mm). Put it in the focuser tube and turn the focus knob slowly all the way until you see the object clearly - your eye lashes etc will disappear. Get it dead centre.

Once you have the object focused you then need to tune the finder scope on the top to make the cross hairs line up with the same object dead center. There's usually a couple of screws to turn at the back of the finder to get it lined up. Once you've done this the finder will be aligned with the main scope. It's a bit like a rifle sight needs lining up with the barrel.

Finally - change to the shorter eyepiece (least mm) and refine the alignment - then you'll be good to go at night. Hope that helps - let us know how you get on. :)

Welcome to the SGL Astronomy Phenomena. You have come to the right place
to learn about all things Astronomy related, and that includes helping folks understand their telescopes.
We all started off being somewhat mystified with our scopes to some degree or other, but we got there eventually,
and with help here, so will you.
It would help a lot if you can at least describe your Instrument, so we can establish a usage plan for you to follow
and soon you will be an expert.
If you can take a picture of it and post it on the forum it will paint a thousand words, as the saying goes.
If you can't manage a picture,  then give us the type and Model number that will be on a label somewhere on it.
You mentioned you fitted the two lenses in your post, so if one is a Barlow lens, please do not use that until you become more familiar with the scope.
A Barlow will make more difficult for you to find, and focus a target, so put it to one side for now.

Keep in touch on this board until you have enough information to get you going.

For the first observing sessions, I'd suggest you to stay with the moon. Most easy to find, and a good way to get some practical knowledge and experience with your scope. Does it give sharp pictures of the moon? How work different eyepieces on magnification, field and sharpness of view?

You may use a free moon map from the Internet ("Virtual Moon Atlas"), or an app (I'm using "Lunar Map HD").

When you have taken the first steps, find Jupiter (after midnight), Venus, and some bright deep-sky objects, as Pleiades and M 42 (Orion nebula).

Keep asking here, and have fun!

Stephan

Archived