Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Play spot the Coathanger

I had a wonderful couple of hours taking this sight in near to Sidmouth in Devon the night before the NLO open day. I hope this goes someway to sharing it with you.

Taken with a Canon 400D, Sigma 10-20mm lens ISO800 F5.6 mounted on an AstroTrac TT320, 4 x 5 min subs (would have been more but some shots got ruined by dew then I didnt get perfect focus when I continued with a dew band on the lens).

7627_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Regards

Kevin

I found it within a second or two - but for me it's a cheat - because over in France I was squinting for minutes on end at the relevant spot in the Summer Triangle, in excellent skies, trying hard to resolve the coathanger with naked eye.

I couldn't (can anyone else?) - just an elongated fuzzball to my eyes... :?

But it's totally clear on your image. The trick is to find Sagitta (embedded in the southern branch of the MW a bit above Altair, very distinctive), then move up and to the right from the 'tail feathers'. Once you know where to look you can't miss it!

Beautiful image!

Archived