NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC405 - 10 hours of DSLR HaRGB Flaming Star

MartinFransson

Had two nice nights last weekend. A bit windy but clear skies meant several hours of data gathered :)

This is one of my targets - IC405, the Flaming Star Nebula.

It´s 39*300 seconds of colour data plus 38*600 seconds of Ha (Astronomik 12 nm clip in).

I stacked and processed in Pixinsight and combined the data in Photoshop using tips from @ollypenrice a while ago about a method of enhancing the red channel with the Ha.

I think this one turned out really well and hopefully I can some day add two panels to the left to make a mosaic with IC410. I tried to keep the editing to a more balanced look rather than pulling every bit of faint nebulosity out.

Canon EOS 550D(a)
Skywatcher 150-PDS
Baader MPCC mkIII
HEQ5 Pro Synscan
Orion MMAG

hargb_ii_final.jpg

Very nice image.

Do I see an additional diffraction spike to the bottom of the brightest star? I had this only my DSLR / 130PDS recently and it turned out to be the focusing tube intersecting the light path due to excessive back focus on the DSLR. I moved the primary up the tube using the adjustment screws and it had removed the additional spike. 

How do you find the 550D in comparison to the 1100D?

Thank you for your comments! :)

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Very nice image.

Do I see an additional diffraction spike to the bottom of the brightest star? I had this only my DSLR / 130PDS recently and it turned out to be the focusing tube intersecting the light path due to excessive back focus on the DSLR. I moved the primary up the tube using the adjustment screws and it had removed the additional spike. 

How do you find the 550D in comparison to the 1100D?

Yes, there is an additional spike. Haven´t seen that on my other targets. Might be like you said.

I find the 550D superior. Higher resolution and the noise is easier to handle, despite the larger pixels on the 1100D. Also, with my 1100D I get black lines below bright stars plus the occasional internal reflection.

44 minutes ago, MartinFransson said:

Thank you for your comments! :)

Yes, there is an additional spike. Haven´t seen that on my other targets. Might be like you said.

I find the 550D superior. Higher resolution and the noise is easier to handle, despite the larger pixels on the 1100D. Also, with my 1100D I get black lines below bright stars plus the occasional internal reflection.

Interesting I had heard it reported that the 550D had higher noise than the 1100D or 450D. I have a cooler that would work with the 450D the 1100D and the 550D but have not known if the 550D is actually worth a try or not. 

Do you cool your camera?

38 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Do you cool your camera?

No, only natural cooling (Swedish weather) ;)

I'm sure the 550D has higher noise when measured and on a theoretical level but I find it easier to handle in post processing. Maybe because of the higher resolution? 

I sneaked a view of your image Martin whilst at work and I have been looking forward to congratulating you on a beautiful capture of the reflection nebula.

If you peek at the APOD pages, you'll see Adam Block's version and I believe you could place your interpretation in its august company.

Well done!

Archived