Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mirror lock up question.

So a conversation in another thread has got me thinking, and tinkering with something that has been bothering me for some time.

The Nikon D3200 doesn't do mirror lock up. Now this bothers me because for solar and lunar I shoot stills and with the wireless remote can shoot continuous at a pretty reasonable rate but with the vibration from the mirror I can't do that.

I've looked at the one release of custom firmware that is available but it doesn't implement the feature so I can't do it in software.

Live view with the remote mode drops the mirror prior to the shot - I don't know why, doesn't seem necessary, but 'quiet mode' in live view doesn't drop the mirror but that's no good as the remote doesn't work.

However, while triggering it with the lens off to see what happens I realised, the mirror 'enclosure' has a nice little bar across the front of it that snugs up against the roof of the sensor chamber, why can't I tape it in place with a little piece of low tack tape?

I assume the important parts, the shutter mechanism etc will still do their thing and that the nature of the mirror mechanism means that it being temporarily fixed in place won't impede anything.

Or am I missing something and this is certain to make the camera explode, shooting springemiethings all over the place, or at least stop it from working in due course.

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Is it out of warranty  ?

Yep, but whether it is or isn't if I kill it I'm in need of a new camera.

I suppose what I'm asking is if there's anyone familiar with the mechanism who can give a definitive yes or no. I think it's a proper mechanism that lifts the mirror and a spring that it drops back down with but I'm not sure if I want to risk it.

yer mate I'm quite chuffed with the 1200d, it seams to be taking the hammer, it was a good replacement for my beloved 450d and its a lot lighter and the batterys last longer, it dos really good hd vid. downside is I havnt got 2 of them so I can mod one, but I'm working on that, charl

When using an Astronomik CLS clip on a full frame Canon the clip fouls and locks the mirror up.

There is no error when we do this and it appears not to come to any harm, may be the Nikon will be ok?
That being said, nothing in life is 100%, so you take a chance.

Archived