Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn, in Infrared.

Brenner

Image of the Polar Hurricane in Saturn, registred with Infrared Pass filter. With this technique the hurricane is more visible. The original Red image is converted in BW.

FireCapture v2.5 beta Settings
------------------------------------
Telescope=Meade LX70R8"
Camera=ZWO ASI224MC
Powermate 5X Tele Vue
Filter=Baader IR/UV PASS 685

691f2076424cf7ce7ef3e6c6037080c5.620x0_q

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎13 at 19:35, Brenner said:

Image of the Polar Hurricane in Saturn, registred with Infrared Pass filter. With this technique the hurricane is more visible. The original Red image is converted in BW.

FireCapture v2.5 beta Settings
------------------------------------
Telescope=Meade LX70R8"
Camera=ZWO ASI224MC
Powermate 5X Tele Vue
Filter=Baader IR/UV PASS 685

691f2076424cf7ce7ef3e6c6037080c5.620x0_q

I just acquired a 850 pass filter with the ZW0 224. I have a Skywatcher Mak Newt 190mm 1000mm, Televue Powermate 4x.....Good to know I can get such a nice image. But will my filter actually give me a similar image to the filter you used...must wait until Spring again to know...maybe you could give me some insight o this.

Star Jane! I think your filter has a very high cut for so little opening. The image will be extremely dark, which will force you to raise the gain to a prohibitive level and generate a lot of noise.
For your case I advise the same filter used by my colleague Brener Damasceno, an IR Pass 685nm or better yet a 610nm Long Pass.

Yes colleague Resonator77, the captured image is a deep red but you can activate the debayer option leaving it in black and white during capture. This helps increase the speed of data transfer as well as facilitates viewing.
The ASI 224 camera despite being color has a very great sensitivity in red and infrared so it is also a great camera for captures at that wavelength.

Archived