Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Plane and Moon

how do you know its a 757-200, 757 yes but can u tell its the 200 from here. Or did u check which aircraft thomson fly

Paul

PS, have u an i nterest in aviation

Well its "plane" enough to see :D

Jeff.

:laughing3: :laughing3:

if u remeber the time of capture, and the day, you could find out the altitude of the moon, and since the plane is around 0.5 degrees away...presumably higher unless the image got flipped by your optics, and on the assumption that indeed it is a 757-200, you could check boeings website ansd get the length of the aircraft, you could work out its altitude.

1. Find the true lenth of the aircraft

2. Work out your arcsecond/pix value for your set up. Measure the number of pixels spanned by the aircraft.

3. This provides the angle in radians subtended by the aircraft in the image

4. From the true length and angle subtended you can work out the distance to the aircraft. Divide the length of the aircraft (true) by the angle you measured by counting the pixels.

5. This has been worked out on the diagonal so we need to convert to its height (y axis) and its distance from you (x axis)

6. Find the altitude of the moon. (this number will be in degrees), remember the ~0.5 degree correction for the aircraft relative to the moon

7. We need to use some trigonometry that you might have learned in school.

8. We have the lenth of the hypotenuse, and the angle the hypotenuse makes with respect to the ground.

9. See if you can work out the required formula yourself...if not

y (height)=distance to aircraft measured in step 4 * sin(altitude above horizon)...the altitude you measure is in degrees, so make sure your calculator mode is in degrees.

if you work with the aircraft length in feet (boeing will quote in feet) then the y(height) will also be in feet, which is used in the avaition industry.

to get the x (distance) use the same formula but replace sin with cos (alt. above horizon)

If you want to do this but are unsure, then post a message back. Im more than happy to help. If you dont want to do it, then thats fine, I was only suggesting.

Best Wishes

Paul

hopefully gonna become airline pilot someday...

i thought it would be interesting, especially as the imager knew the exact series of aircraft. As a pilot I like to have known

You are 20 years old. You seem to have more knowledge that the rest of humanity put together. You are an expert in all things imaging. Even though I'm sure I read somehere that you've only been imaging for three months (my 5 year old has been imaging longer than that).

And now you are a pilot as well.

I take my hat off to you sir - you have managed far more in 20 years of life than I could even dream off in nearly double that!

Ant

well of course...(looking sheepish and slightly red-faced). Interestingly boeing have stopped production on the 757. Shame was a truly versatile aircraft.

Wasnt that image cool...its hard to image planes. Except at airports, but then you get nicked

Paul

not a fully qualified pilot but I have been flying since I was 13, logged around 50 hours, in a diamond Katana DA20. Have completed several solos, including 2 solo nav flights. I have a gliding scholaship from Air cadets, but that was a while ago. Havent glided since

Imaging for a year really, its narrowband that I have been doing for 3 months

I know that sounds pathetic, i am very aware that its pathetic. I sit at home doing load of research, learning how to improve so the next image is better. Not to say that everyone here doesnt do the same amount of research.

Genuinely sorry if I have offended anyone. Not what I set out to do

Paul

Thank you all.

how do you know its a 757-200, 757 yes but can u tell its the 200 from here. Or did u check which aircraft thomson fly

Paul

PS, have u an i nterest in aviation

Zoom on picture :

http://pix.nofrag.com/c/2/3/e8c42f2bd3f6e719ee22567c1f1e2.jpg

and compare :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Thomsonfly.b757-200.g-byat.bristol.arp.jpg/800px-Thomsonfly.b757-200.g-byat.bristol.arp.jpg

I like aviation mostly with my telescopes and 400D:)

But I do not understand all that you said because it's in English.

Excuse me for my bad English.

Good bye and thank you !

Archived