NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More outreach

John

I'm just back from a viewing session at my astro society's observatory a bit SW from Bristol.

Our sessions there are open to the public and we had around 15 people turn up to have a look through some scopes. I took my ED120 refractor along because it's portable and there is a walk along a lane from where the cars are parked.

The societies 10", 12" and 18" scopes were up and running and the night was pretty clear so we were able to showcase some nice targets.

My ED120 held it's own very well amongst these larger aperture instruments and my targets included M57, M27, M13, M31, M32, M81, M82, NGC404, NGC 869 and NGC 884, The Coat Hanger asterism, Uranus, Albireo, Iota Cassiopeiae, Almach and finally the Pleiades.

I had my Ethos eyepieces for this session and it was interesting that nobody had any problems using them, even those who wore glasses. Not that anyone really cared what eyepieces were being used of course :wink:

As they moved around the scopes I think people were surprised at the quality of the views that my small scope was putting up compared to the "big ones" :icon_biggrin:

Lovely evening and I met some great people and shared the Universe with them - great fun ! :thumbright:   

19 minutes ago, Charic said:

Do you think the favorable views were soley due to the use of the Ethos, along with the good conditions, or would other EPs have been just as productive for the guests.

I think most eyepieces would have delivered well. I only mentioned that the eyepieces being used were Ethos because I have read that some people find 100 degree eyepiece difficult to use and I was a little surprised that none of the folks who used them tonight found that. Even the 3.7mm (242x) seemed to pose no real problems - apart from Uranus drifting off due to the Earth's spin of course - that started some interesting conversations !

Mind you, the society scopes use standard plossl eyepieces (even the 18" !) so looking through an Ethos provided people with a slightly different viewpoint and it was interesting to hear their reactions.

I didn't bother observers with the type of eyepiece they were using - what mattered was that they enjoyed the view ! :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, John said:

- what mattered was that they enjoyed the view ! :icon_biggrin:

Cheers John, at the  end of the day, or session! that's what counts I suppose.
As you may recall, the weather has been pants here this Year, and still waiting to fully assess my 70° Delois, and all I keep reading about is how good they compare against the Ethos, excepting the field of view, infact I believe they describe the Delos  as having Ethos qualities in a smaller field!  If  only I could get out and test for myself. Seems like  the often  better skies up here in Scotland are not the place to be this Year. My time will (hopefully) come soon.
And  I've noted some folk  in side-by-side  comparison testing are still  having issues as to what they feel is better between the two? 

Glad you had a good session,and maybe some new enthusiasts to join our hobby. 

5 hours ago, John said:

people were surprised at the quality of the views that my small scope was putting up compared to the "big ones" :icon_biggrin:

An american astronomy journalist and an italian blog host wrote a 5-inch refractor could be the only telescope one ever needs. After seeing Mars through a friend's 130mm apo, I understand why they say that, although personally I wouldn't limit myself like that, and outreach requires big light collectors for untrained eyes.

3 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

An american astronomy journalist and an italian blog host wrote a 5-inch refractor could be the only telescope one ever needs. After seeing Mars through a friend's 130mm apo, I understand why they say that, although personally I wouldn't limit myself like that, and outreach requires big light collectors for untrained eyes.

Usually at these events I use my 12" dob and more regular 70 degree eyepieces. The site of the one last night is down a rather long and overgrown farm track though so getting the refractor there was somewhat easier than the big dob !

The society 18" scope is quite an interesting one. It's an 18" JMI NGT which looks a bit like the photo below. This instrument lives on site under a roll-off structure.

NGT-18.jpg

That is an interesting 18" - is that a split ring eq mount? What is it like in use: is it motorised or can it also be used manually (and if so how is the movement)? Can't be too many scopes of that design around?? Skywatcher had some prototypes a couple of years ago being marketed for astrophotography, but shelved the development I heard.

Interesting comments about the Ethos EPs - I have to say that I'm still getting used to eye placement, whereas I never had a moment's concern with my Naglers.

I found the transition from Naglers to Ethos pretty painless to be honest. Most of the Naglers I used to have had tighter eyerelief than the Ethos so to get an even wider view with a touch more ER seemed a little luxury :icon_biggrin:

The JMI NGT scopes were launched around 1989 I think. The mount is an interesting design. As yet I've not had much chance to use the scope but I'm hoping to use it some more this winter. Here is some more info from the site that I nicked the above photo from:

http://www.billsastro.com/Astronomy/Equipment/Telescope Folder/NGT-18/NGT-18.html

Nice report John, interesting what you say about Ethos and glasses, but I guess everyone is different when it comes to where they sit on the face. Remember Dennis Taylor used to wear them upside down, bet that would cause problems with any eyepiece.

Alan 

Archived