NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Evostar 120

I'm thinking about getting the Evostar 120 on a yet undecided mount (visual only) but heard conflicting reports about the supplied focuser. Is it up to the job of supporting heavy eyepieces (1kg ish) without slop? Any owners out there able to help?

I am an imager but I find the supplied focuser ok to support my Canon DSLR and focal reducer and that weighs in at about 850g. I did however fit the Baader clicklock adapter to the 120ED as the existing retaining clamp is not very good.

Peter

Lorne, I have and use for imaging and observing the Evostar 120mm. It did come from the supplier with the focuser having slight slop, It was no problem to take up the slight slop by tightening the small allen screws on the focuser.

HTHs

Tim

Personally, if buying new, I'd think again. You could probably get a 100mm or 120ED for around the same price as a new 120 Evostar plus a new focuser. Might be worth considering. The Evostar focusers are pretty good but need fettling generally and in my experience, the 120ED is a far superior animal to the achromats.

I think the SW focusers are ok, I had some slop on my Evo 90, but as per above, you can use a small allan key to adjust.  There is one hex adjustment at the front end and one at the rear end.  If the slop is in a certain place, then you can tighten one and loosen the other to effectively get the drawtube nice and straight.   I have found that every six months or so, those hex screws like to re-adjust themselves, so be prepared to keep on top of them maintenance wise.  Other than that, it's not a bad focuser at all really and does it's job ok.

If I was in the market for a slowish achromat around 5" I'd go for the Bresser 127L rather than an Evostar 120. Having owned both of these I tend to agree with Shanes recommendation of the ED120 if you could find the additional £'s though - they are superb :cool2:

Archived