NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Making a Jovilabe (Jupiter Orrery)

Stub Mandrel

A week or so ago I started a thread trying to better understand the movements of Jupiter's moons.

As a result I came up with a series of gear pairs for an reasonably accurate (it should run for at least a year without significant errors) Jovilabe, or an orrery of the moons of Jupiter.

The basic plan is to have a more-or-less open topped box containing the complex gear mechanism, above this will be a 'Jupiter' orbited by its four Galilean moons. Jupiter will be at the same scale as the orbits but the size of the moons will be exaggerated ten times (so they are about pea-sized).

Underneath this, the sun will revolve around Jupiter once every 11 years(!) while an 'earth' orbits the sun. This will allow an oscillating pointer of cunning shape to indicate, on the far side of the base, the right ascension and zodiacal house (Boo! Hiss!) where Jupiter is residing.

This combines the two classic functions of a Jovilabe - where the moons are and where Jupiter is in the sky.

There is the potential to retro-fit a moon orbiting Earth as well.

It will all be driven by a stepper motor in the base.

So far I have made almost all the gears and tested out the basic arrangement - it's a challenge to avoid things clashing. I had to cut some gears over and under size so they could share the same spacings, which means some slightly odd teeth. As every gear pair is a pinion (small gear) driving a larger gear it is much less demanding of perfectly free movement and ideal tooth shapes than a clock. I also used involute gears which are more tolerant of dodgy spacing. there will be plenty of backlash, but as it will only drive in one direction, this doesn't really matter!

Some early progress, just trying out gear spacings, I have already made several changes. The real frames will be made of brass. The worst part will be polishing all the gears...

More pictures will follow as it evolves:

jOVILABE (1).JPG

jOVILABE (3).JPG

The base box will be about a foot across, the Jupiter wheel will have 344 teeth and be 240mm across and be the biggest challenge as it will also be the engraved or etched top for the base box. I am not sure what scale to use I fancy a round figure like 1mm=100,000km, which would have Callisto on a wire 188mm long so overhanging the edge by about 30mm. The downside is that it would pass over the top of the Earth/Sun wheel. I will have to see how it looks, the challenge is making the working mechanism.

I cut the gears using a 'rack form hob', fairly crude approach that works well with a single pass for small gears and seems to tolerate using over/under-size gear blanks. Some of the teeth are not 'elegant' but they all run together well enough, only one has needed a little fettling so far.

'Earth disc'. Have to decide if I run with this antiqued look (photo-etched actually) or try and get things engraved. Its about 6mm across the outer diameter.

This will rotate once a year on a pin through the sun's nose (which may have a small orb on it) while it tracks around a 'whole sky' disk every eleven years or so(!) marked up with degrees, RA and the zodiacal houses.

Earth will sit on a pin through 31st December.

The Earth pin will control the motion of the Jupiter pointer.

Terradisc.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've depressed myself by designing extras that mean another 14 gears... adds sidereal & terrestrial time and moon phase.

Heaven knows if it will work or just lock solid...

I've made a moon disc and designed the top of the machine. This will be etched not engraved, partly because I bought the wrong sort of brass...

Jovilabe Dial.jpg

Test polish of the Sidereal dial after etching but before cutting out (to the innermost of the two outer circles). This will rotate inside the right-hand circle on the dial, the index line on the main dial will indicate sidereal time. Similar dials for solar time and one with ten 'jovi-hours' for 'jovian' time that can be used to predict the red spot etc.

Sidereal Dial.JPG

• 1 month later...

Really nice project Neil. Good to see an actual machining thread in the DIY section.

I See the mill has been busy mine has too its looking a lot less pristine now :wink:.

Interesting gear hobbing with all the different ratio's required. 

• 1 year later...

Archived