Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexstar Raspberry Pi Controller

tekkydave

Controlling and imaging with ASI1600MM-Cool including cooling :)  I'm not seeing the filter wheel though which is covered in the ZWO driver for Windows so that's something to sort out.  Maybe there's a separate driver.

Here is a screenshot of the Preview image from the ASI1600MM-Cool pointing out of the window.  But if I can't find a way of operating the filter wheel I'm stuck with windoze!  This is a very new device I think and it could be that nobody has written an INDI driver for it :(  I should be alright with the SX FW on the Esprit scope as long as the INDI SX wheel driver works with the mini wheel.

Capture with RPi 01.JPG

Had a reply saying the it was already in the INDI library.  Since I need a second RPI installation for the main imaging rig I think I'll start afresh with another RPi 3 and 8GB micro SD card and install Raspbian Jessie Lite followed by the INDI library daily build to get the latest drivers.  That should include the wheel driver if that information is correct.

Which would appear to contradict the previous post, saying it isn't supported. I hope the reply you have received is correct. I must say I am finding the entire process to be a minefield (and that is before I have even started on the "linux" bit). Makes me wonder if it would have been simpler to have fitted a powered usb hub instead ... but then, I would not have been learning so much about my system if I had done that.

I'm working on my ASC - decided to get that finished before worrying about the main imaging rig.  Now have most of the bits needed to finish the ASC except that I ordered the wrong size screws :iamwithstupid:

I have the ASC RPi system working with the ASC on its mast and out the front of the house.  Not done the dew heater yet but the focuser is working.  AND auto-focus works :hello2::hello2::hello2: 

The sky is cloudy but there are some distant street lights in the FOV and the auto-focus worked on one of those :)  I watched Ekos shift the FOV to the edge of the image and close in on one of the lights.  The ASC image sharpened up :)  Next time we get some clear night sky I hope to let it focus on a star.  The camera fogged up between shots - need that dew heater :D

Auto-Focus.JPG

2016-10-19T2220.JPG2016-10-19T2250.JPG

• Like 2

Wiped most of the dew off and captured another image.  Here is a small part of the image zoomed in.  The auto-focus seems to have done a pretty good job :)  Also, it can be seen that this lens/camera combo is good right to the edge of the FOV in that the lights are still circular.  Have yet to see how good the focus is at the edge when focused on a star high up.

2016-10-19T2250a.JPG

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I've not posted in this topic for about 2 1/2 years, however:

I have recently installed Indi on the new Rapberry Pi 4 and suprise - the ASI120MC works fine with it now.

Whether this is due to improvements in the Pi hardware/firmware, OS (Raspbian) or Indiserver who knows but it's working now.

I'm in half a mind to start tinkering with Astronomy again 🤯 😮

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1