Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Right Ascension, declination, and vernier scale help

This mount looks somewhat like the EQ-5 which I own.

Don't expect too much from the setting circles. After trying really hard to make the circles on the EQ-5 do something useful, I came to the conclusion that these circles are not precise enough to put an object into the field of view of the main telescope, and that Goto electronics have made the whole concept obsolete.

I concede that setting circles may work on permanently mounted observatory scopes, where examples are two feet in diameter rather than two inches.

The idea is that you centre in the ep a bright easy to find star Dubhe for example in the plough or Big Dipper then look up its coordinates and dial them in in ra and dec then tighten the locking screws you should now be able to look up objects coordinates and move the mount accordingly.I messed around with this one night only with some success but having to turn the torch on each time and struggle to see the markings I soon gave up.They might get you in the ball park area but there not that accurate.The scale on the second picture is for polar alignment and for me I never bothered with it I just alight the circle so it runs thru Polaris then rotate in ra until the small circle falls over Polaris at the right time as shown on the app.

Archived