Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observers diary

Ray02

Hey guys,

So I would like to write down everything that I observe. But i dont know where to start from... Some recommend printing internet sheets others to make my own one. But what should I add to the diary, what information and etc. 

Thanks for the help

The following list would be a good start:-

1    date and time of your observations in GMT
2    your location
3    object observed
4    telescope, eyepiece and any filters in use
5    describe your observations in your own words including the following:-

object magnitude
        seeing and transparency levels
        light pollution levels
        presence of the Moon if applicable
        local weather conditions

6    For transient observations involving the Moon, planets and comets, include the constellation in which they were viewed
7    Wherever possible, include a simple sketch

Basically, you can do as much or as little as you feel at ease with.  I use a college-type lab book (much deeper than it is wide).  On the left pages I jot things down "in the field", then later I do a tidy version on the right, which is divided into columns:

Object / Nature of Object & Constellation / Date & Time / Magnifications Used / Comments

Comments can include telescope used, seeing, transparency, filters, quick sketches, plus impressions of what was seen, etc..  Anything of note that I did or experienced, basically!

Perhaps the most important thing is to do whatever you like doing, without it all becoming a burden!  

Doug.

Depends what you want to use the diary for ? I Usally record what i see  most of the above temperature as well ,also,any thing that went right or,wrong and i have around 3 diarys and about six note books there great to,look back at and compare tjings year to year

pat

have a look at AstronomyLogs.com. I started with some of their log books and then tweaked it to work for me. I record details about the session: Where &when, conditions (trasparency, seeing, temperature), who I was with, moon (phase, rise & set), what I plan to observe, which equipment I had with me, and some general comments about the session. For each object, I record: Common name, catalogue number, constellation, magnification, fov, filters, start & end time, some notes, and if I'm in the mood, a sketch (though this is normally for double stars, as I haven't got tracking and I'm not very good at drawing) - I've got a blank template set up in excel.

I write my observations almost in the form of a diary, but noting which scope(s), which eyepieces, and the sky conditions. I include anything else of interest, such as nocturnal visitors, hedgehogs, owls etc. It is only written for me, to peruse at a later date; I don't think the BAA are going to contact me anytime soon, requesting information for their archive.:icon_biggrin:

I have been doing small drawings in white pencil on black paper, and my drawings of smudges have been causing some amusement for my children. It didn't occur to me to add the information suggested by Steppenwolf, most helpful. I don't think I will catalogue wildlife though 'neighbours cat, visits again' .

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2016 at 08:36, Saganite said:

I write my observations almost in the form of a diary, but noting which scope(s), which eyepieces, and the sky conditions. I include anything else of interest, such as nocturnal visitors, hedgehogs, owls etc. It is only written for me, to peruse at a later date; I don't think the BAA are going to contact me anytime soon, requesting information for their archive.:icon_biggrin:

Hello Steve,

BAA President here - we'd love to have your observations for our archive!

As you may know, we have a number of sections for observations of different types of objects (https://www.britastro.org/sections). I am sure the Directors of the sections would love you to contribute.

All the best,

Jeremy

I like to fill my log sheet with sketches, for me it makes it much more interesting to review later, an image has a stronger impression to recall crystal clear memories. 

Bellow is my own version of my log sheet. At the top, I have the field of view informations of my eyepieces in degrees, minutes, seconds for each of them, (it's useful) The paper is landscape page so it's easier to hold the plastic pad. Also, the drawing circles are placed in the middle of the sheet so my hand can rest on the pad while drawing, it's easier like that.

When the sheet if full, I simply punch 3 holes at the top then I put it inside a nice binder.

A custom tool.

RaMNaA8.jpg?1

I went to the job and took the files.

This one is extended to the full sheet but the holding clip can be on the way of the text lines.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OZ0oXfzDlFSjhCMHVCUkk0Ync

That one is a revision of the same thing but the text is out of the holding clip. :icon_biggrin:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OZ0oXfzDlFajk5VENGSDVVOUU

Interesting topic :happy11:. Just my two cents:

On a hardbound, plain sheet notebook I note:

Session: place, start time, end time, companions (if any), weather conditions, seeing, transparency, other important notes (lights, annoying neighbors, funny things, animals that visited, etc)

Observation (s): time, object, instrument, eyepiece, filter, lenses, notes, sketches, etc

I scribble almost anything that happens and any impressions. Then, on the first slot of free time after that, I transfer everything to my digital database obslog.

Cheers and clear skies!

On 10/1/2016 at 07:44, cloudsweeper said:

Perhaps the most important thing is to do whatever you like doing, without it all becoming a burden

Very important comment! This is a hobby after all, not a job or a chore.

Archived