Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hey

narrowbandpaul

Hello Group.

I am Paul, a 20 year old imager from Scotland, and good friends with NGC2403 (ally). I have used his account for a few posts...

Despite my decent equipment, I dont do a lot of my own stuff, as I dont get the image quality I demand. So instead I got to a friends (Douglas Cooper) and he and I setup and acquire images. He sets up and guides, and I acquire the raw data with an SXV H9 and process the images.

Just now Douglas and i are focussing on Narrowband Imaging, with astrodon 1.25" filters.

I am very passionate about narrowband imaging, and believe it much more interesting than conventional RGB. I do a lot of research into narrowband imaging, but theres always more to learn.

Personally, I am a student at the university of Glasgow, about to go into my fourth year studying Physics and Astronomy. I am in the same class as Ally (NGC2403). I hope to become an Airline Pilot someday, and have logged over 40hours on a single engine prop (Katana DA20)

I hope to offer assistance with any problems you guys have, and to learn from others experiences

Cheers

Paul

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul, welcome aboard. I have to ask, if you want to be a commercial pilot why are you doing an Astronomy degree? If it's just for interest then I fully understand. Not a criticism or anything I'm genuinely interested, I would have thought you might have wanted to be a physicist or something. Best of luck with both the degree and the plane driving.

dave,

i am doin the degree because I enjoy astronomy. I enjoy learning about the various mechanisms whereby the universe works. There is no money in physics, well not in research. I dont want to teach cos I might kill the kids...

Flying is awesome, except if u are a passenger...then its boring. Seeing the world from the 3rd dimension is pretty cool.

Paul

Cool. I used to fly gliders (real pilot stuff.... :shocked: ) so I understand what you are saying. Have you made any overtures to any companies yet? Very close friend of mine is a 747 driver for BA. I could put a few feelers out if you want, see what the lie of the land is so to speak.

I have a gliding qualification (I think). I got it at cadets. Apparantly I am solo standard, but never got the chance. There was 30kt winds. I know a former concorde pilot. He actually flew the last flight from heathrow to edinburgh. He went on to fly the 747, perhaps your friend knows him. Andy Bailey. I also have an Aunt who is chief cabin crew for BA.

Any information your friend could provide would be great...

thanks a bunch

paul

I'll bend his ear. I'm pretty sure he used to be a training captain too. He's away in SF at the mo but I'll see what he says when he gets back. I got up to silver C in gliding but they shut the club because they sold the airfield to build a warehouse.......and the nearest club was miles away so I packed up. One of the requirements for the silver was a 5 hour minimum flight, it was a booming day in August and I went off in a pair of shorts, t-shirt and trainers......spent most of the flight at 8000 ft + and came down like a block of ice......those were the days..... :shocked:

sounds awesome... my most memorable gliding flight was from RM condor. We got winched to 1000ft but caught some wave cloude and got to 2000, we sailed up and down the east coast for a hour. Pretty good when the average flight time for a 1000ft launch is 8 minutes.

Ever tried power flight

I'll bend his ear. I'm pretty sure he used to be a training captain too. He's away in SF at the mo but I'll see what he says when he gets back. I got up to silver C in gliding but they shut the club because they sold the airfield to build a warehouse.......and the nearest club was miles away so I packed up. One of the requirements for the silver was a 5 hour minimum flight, it was a booming day in August and I went off in a pair of shorts, t-shirt and trainers......spent most of the flight at 8000 ft + and came down like a block of ice......those were the days..... :lol:

I would call that good training for a long nights astro imaging in the middle of winter then Dave. Should be a cake walk after that experience. :shocked:

Ron.

Yeah I've done a lot of fan powered stuff but it's not the same as gliding. My old club offered to pay for me to get a tug pilots course if i did a PPL but powered flying bores me to death TBH. Unless it's for a purpose you're just boring holes in the sky. It's a bit like the difference between having a power boat and a yacht. You sail a yacht for the sheer pleasure of sailing but a power boat, well you just plough holes in the water. Great if you're going somewhere but otherwise........

Archived