Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can someone suggest a robust pair of inexpensive binos?

Amra

I know 'robust' & 'inexpensive' hardly go hand in hand, but I was hoping for some suggestions none the less, I'm not against searching on Ebay for some older used binos that fit the bill that might be less expensive.

I've had two pair of 15x70 binoculars (Celestron & Teleskop-Express) that both have gone out of collimation after a while. I know that that these binoculars are prone to miscollimation and bad QA, it comes with the very low price I suppose.

I would like something that I can go traveling with (so not too heavy) & that can handle a bit of rough handling without so easily going out of collimation, I gather that the weight of the binos increases as well when they have a more sturdy construction, but I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions, I would appreciate any help.

The most "robust" pair I have are Bushnell H2O's in 8x42, although they are roof prism.

Assuming your 2 pairs are Porro collimation is usually a case of a knock that moves a prism. Soetimes by taking the metal cover off at the eye piece end reveals the porro and you may find a metal bar over the prism and if it is CAREFULLY loosened the porro reseats itself.

Otherwise you still have to loosen off the metal bar a bit and there is often a screw in the body of the binocular that orientates the porro, you move that whichever way to recollimate then tighten the metal bar again to hold everything. Not overly difficult but you do have to do things slowly and sort of maintain a bit of a grip on the prisms as you do not want them moving everywhere.

Better say that the optics of the H2O's are reasonable, but the Bushnell Natureviews I have are better optically, not sure if they are more robust however.

• 6 months later...

Archived