NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

this is how i have polar aligned forever this any problems with this

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, carastro said:

That all sounds very complex Louise in PHD2.  I am still on PHD1 and don't have to enter any of that stuff.   I like to keep things simple and feel that as Iwols has been struggling he should endeavour to keep things as simple as possible - until he is up and running at least.

Carole 

The only things to enter are guidescope focal length and guide cam pixel size so that the graph shows arcsecs. Otherwise they can be skipped and it just uses pixels. Nothing complex!

Louise

3 hours ago, carastro said:

That all sounds very complex Louise in PHD2.  I am still on PHD1 and don't have to enter any of that stuff.   I like to keep things simple and feel that as Iwols has been struggling he should endeavour to keep things as simple as possible - until he is up and running at least.

That's interesting, I use the handset and have been doing PA through the polarscope for years.  Does the handset work something like Alignmaster?  I must give this a go as bending down and craning the neck at the polarscope is a right "Pain in the neck" (pun intended).

Carole 

Hi Carole, I feel a bit isolated in this continual vigil for those who struggle with PA.  I can't believe it is not universally accepted.  Synscan has a very straightforward PA routine built into the software.  You don't need Polaris, you don't need a polarscope just a rough polar point and a reasonable view of a couple of stars. You run a two star alignment one side of the meridian then go to the PA routine on the handset.  You repeat this cycle until you are happy with your PA error. I have never had to do it more than 3 times to get < 30".  If imaging, I then check once with PHD2 drift align but it is usually very close.  Because I have a pier I then leave it well alone. Why people even bother with a polarscope beats me.

1 hour ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Hi Carole, I feel a bit isolated in this continual vigil for those who struggle with PA.  I can't believe it is not universally accepted.  Synscan has a very straightforward PA routine built into the software.  You don't need Polaris, you don't need a polarscope just a rough polar point and a reasonable view of a couple of stars. You run a two star alignment one side of the meridian then go to the PA routine on the handset.  You repeat this cycle until you are happy with your PA error. I have never had to do it more than 3 times to get < 30".  If imaging, I then check once with PHD2 drift align but it is usually very close.  Because I have a pier I then leave it well alone. Why people even bother with a polarscope beats me.

Hi Chris

Well, er, not everyone has a handcontroller. I have an heq5 but it's a Syntrek. In any case, I have a very restricted view of the sky so I'm limited to how I might achieve PA though the polarscope isn't an option either!

Louise

Hi Chris, 

I took a look at the Synscan instructions today for PA.  The one thing that struck me was it says you need to use a reticuled eyepiece.  Surely if I have a camera in the eyepiece, can I not use that for the routine, especially if the software has a reticule?  As I do imaging I tend to set up for imaging before it gets dark and I hardly ever use an eyepiece at all these days.

Carole 

17 hours ago, carastro said:

Hi Chris, 

I took a look at the Synscan instructions today for PA.  The one thing that struck me was it says you need to use a reticuled eyepiece.  Surely if I have a camera in the eyepiece, can I not use that for the routine, especially if the software has a reticule?  As I do imaging I tend to set up for imaging before it gets dark and I hardly ever use an eyepiece at all these days.

Carole 

You don't need a reticule EP but it makes life easier (I got one free with my guiding set up).  You could just as easily use your camera, just make sure the software reticule (cam) is aligned with RA/Dec just to make it a bit easier.  I have used a Canon and EOS Utilities with the software reticule like that so I know it can be done.  As long as you can pick two stars out in twilight you should be fine.  At this time of year I would probably align East of the meridian and so pick maybe Mirfak and Deneb or even Alpheratz.  The more separation the better but stick to one side of the meridian.

Archived