Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Swan going, ES coming

Ally8446

Right folks,  few questions all rolled into one topic. 

I'm selling my WO Swan 33mm but have absolutely no idea of what price to ask. Any suggestions ?

I'll be looking for a used ES 28mm or above. Being the ripe old age of 45, what max size of ES could I get away with as far as exit pupil is concerned ?(I don't wear glasses either).

Hope you can help.

Alasdair 

WO Swan for about £25?

That's what I`d like to pay! but as their near a ton maybe push up to 50 notes?
If someone really wants one like yesterday, they'll pay,  otherwise they gotta buy new, everybody wants a bargain, something for nothing in most cases?
You just have to get lucky  when buying  and fair when selling! You'll make someones day if the price is right. I have been very fortunate  with my EPs  so far.
I was gutted when  a  Delos sold for £150  in my town, but was too late to discover the detail, otherwise it would have been mine?
Sadly though I don't need a SWAN just yet!

you can try asking for a 60 quid maybe? they are new 84.

as for your new purchase,ditch that ES28mm and better get the Ex Sc Maxvision 24 mm 82 deg EP. (1)t will be chaper (2) will give you better darker back ground (3) will be a stunning 82 deg space walk  (4) no issues with exit pupil. (5) quality wise top notch .

Maxvisions are re branded Meade 5000 series left overs(fallen through contract) and once they are gone they are gone for good.Good eye pieces for bargain prices.

5 hours ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

as for your new purchase,ditch that ES28mm and better get the Ex Sc Maxvision 24 mm 82 deg EP. (1)t will be chaper (2) will give you better darker back ground (3) will be a stunning 82 deg space walk  (4) no issues with exit pupil. (5) quality wise top notch .

Maxvisions are re branded Meade 5000 series left overs(fallen through contract) and once they are gone they are gone for good.Good eye pieces for bargain prices.

(6) If you decloak it, you will have much more eye relief because the eye lens is not recessed like the ES version.

5 hours ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

55 to 60 BP would be about the equivalent they've been going for over here.  They're about 90 BP new here.  Figure around 60% to 65% of new for used eyepieces.

12 hours ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

So you'd suggest the 24 over the 28. Would you mind explaining why please ?

18 minutes ago, Ally8446 said:

So you'd suggest the 24 over the 28. Would you mind explaining why please ?

i think i already did. also fits in your budget too,unless you want the ultimate low power Ep,then go for the 30mm ExSc 82 deg.Dont know what sort of money you have to play with.Still will be fine with exit pupil,but its a BIG eye piece and might tip your dob over :D

13 hours ago, Ally8446 said:

Right folks,  few questions all rolled into one topic. 

I'm selling my WO Swan 33mm but have absolutely no idea of what price to ask. Any suggestions ?

I'll be looking for a used ES 28mm or above. Being the ripe old age of 45, what max size of ES could I get away with as far as exit pupil is concerned ?(I don't wear glasses either).

Hope you can help.

Alasdair 

The ES28mm 68 is a lovely eyepiece - I had one and really like it (there is one for sale here, nothing to do with me http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=117105)...I think I sold mine for £75 or £80 but don't quote me on that. I sold it as I also have the 34mm version which is a superb low power wide field eyepiece. I am 60 and don't have a problem with my F7.7 apo as the 34mm gives a 4.41mm exit pupil. In your Skyliner at F5.91 the 28mm will give an exit pupil of 4.73mm - perfect for your young eyes! The ES build is excellent, and much better than the Maxvisions IMO - although the MVs are optically good, I just think they are a bit ugly, but that's me.

I haven't used the 82 deg that Gaidis recommends but I have used the ES 6.7mm 82 and that too was a lovely eyepiece. He is right about caution with your Dob though...the ES 28 is a big unit, and the ES 34 is a hand grenade!

Many reviews I have read put the ES range right up there with the TV Panoptics unless you are using a very short focus reflector of under F5. Your's is nearly F6 so should work really well whichever you choose.

At your age I would think you could handle a 5.5mm to 6mm exit pupil ok - but everyone's eyes are different so you just need to check for your own particular eyes.

HTH

Dave

I have the 30mm ES-82, and stars fall apart in the last 10 degrees of the field even with a coma corrector.  Mostly smearing due to chromatic aberration.  I'm sorely tempted to get a 31mm Nagler because it's supposed to be so much better corrected to the edge.

One advantage to the 24mm ES-68 over the 28mm would be that it is usable in 1.25 focusers should you ever downsize to a smaller scope without a 2" focuser.  I have the 27mm Panoptic, and though it is nearly sharp to the field stop, I find I don't use it all that much.  It's a bit tight on eye relief with eyeglasses.  I once scratched an expensive pair with the exposed eye lens retaining ring.  I find I use the 30mm ES-82 more despite the outer field issues because it is decently sharp over the same true field as the 27mm Panoptic, and (counter-intuitively) it is easier to use with eyeglasses.

I have also heard that the es30 82deg falls apart at the edges. But I can definitely say the 24mm 82deg ES doesn't.  It's fantastically sharp in my 12" f4.9 dob. A lot of the time it stays in the scope for an entire viewing session, as it's just so fabulous! 5mm exit pupil and x65 mag in my scope makes it just about perfect for everything but planetary.

Only problem I have is I now want a couple of the shorter fl versions, as they are also supposed to be top notch _ especially the 11mm

On 13/09/2016 at 21:51, Ally8446 said:

Hi Ally, I would recommend the ES82 series 30mm, an excellent ep that gives stunning panoramic views!

Archived