NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro "Both axes No Response"

lux eterna

Hi guys,

Last night I set up my HEQ5 Pro (with hand controller, no pc), unparked the mount and polar aligned as usual by putting Polaris in the small circle. Tracking was not started and I had not yet been running the dec/ra motors. Then suddenly the hand controller display blanked out (but still with background light). The red led on the mount was shining steady. I switched off and on the power button, then the HC said "Initializing"  (pause) "Caution Both axes No Response". I packed up and went home and after a few more tries, the HC showed scrap characters, so I decided to try reloading the firmware (was running 3.37). The scrap characters disappeared but nothing else improved. Then I tried the latest version (3.38.09) - no change.

When it happened, the mount was powered from a fully loaded 30 Ah AGM battery, measuring 13 volt. I have secured the 12V power plug in the mount with a home made clamp, so a bad power connection would not be the cause I think. Anyway - I guess I can borrow a HC for testing, and if I need a new one it will be an easy fix. But what if the fault is in the mount ? How do I know if I should buy a new motherboard or if something else is broken ?

Any input is appreciated.

Ragnar 

1 hour ago, Starlight 1 said:

No link to PC is a normal response on the hand controller if the motherboard died, it's another problem from your description it sounds more like the power lead interrupting the supply.

Hi Starlight1,

A dead motherboard makes sense, but what do you mean with the power lead interrupting the supply ? The HC display is bright and clear and so is the red led on the mount. You mean the power supply is interrupted internally, on the motherboard ?

1 hour ago, D4N said:

Does the HEQ5 start tracking if you turn it on with no handset connected?  My mount does that.  Quick way to check the mount works if it does.

Hi D4N,

With the HC disconnected there is no action at all after powering on, only the red led.

27 minutes ago, lux eterna said:

Hi Starlight1,

A dead motherboard makes sense, but what do you mean with the power lead interrupting the supply ? The HC display is bright and clear and so is the red led on the mount. You mean the power supply is interrupted internally, on the motherboard ?

The power lead plug that fit into the mount  is not making good contact on this plug.

32 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

It could be a motherboard problem - could it have got damp/wet? If you can borrow a hand controller that would give an indication. Any chance of connecting to a computer? If it works ok via eqmod then that would point to the hand controller or cable/connector.

Louise

Thanks for the suggestions Louise,

The mount was warm and dry, normally stored in house. Yes, I am trying to get a HC for testing, just thinking what to do if the test points to the mount which has several items that could caus this, though the main board would be most probable.

When mine started playing up showing weird characters or none on occasion it was because I'd inadvertently jarred the handset (dropped it) and the cable connecting the main handset board to the display had come loose ... simply undid the screws , split the case and reseated the connector .

Update : I have tested the handset in an EQ5 of a friend and it was ok. Opened the mount and found no other components apart from the motherboard likely to be involved in the problem, so I am currently ordering a new motherboard. The defective board does not show any visual signs of burned components or bad (enough) solderings etc.

3 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Is it possible that the power requirement to run the HC and power on LEDs being lower than that needed to run the motors might give a false indication that you have a good contact?

Hi Peter,

The HC and the LED on the mount indicates that 12 good volts is supplied which is enough for the computer and HC. The motors has not yet started, so no power goes that way.

Thanks anyway. 

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Edith said:

Hi, Now I have the same problem with my SynScan GoTo Sky Watcher Newton Telescope (200/1000). Both Axis no Respons. I don,t know why? Anyone could help? My best greetings. 

Hi

If power is ok it could be a problem with the handset cable or connector. Did it fail suddenly? When did you last use it? Might the handset cable have been damaged?

Louise

Hi Louise,

I was with my scope 3 days at the astrophotography convention 5-8 October, and it worked. And at home I also tried to connect with Stellarium, and it worked. Before 4 days I bought SynScan Wi Fi and I have on my computer (laptop Dell) SynScan app, I see that connection is between SynScan app and SynScan WiFi but Scope will not move.  I think, because something happened, but what? I don't know.  Thanks for Your kindly interest in my problem.  Do You know what is emulgator?

P.S. I live in Frombork/Poland, I am astronomer, and I  have to go on Thursday to three places with lectures about the development of observation methods and I wanted to operate my telescope and probably nothing will come out...

2 minutes ago, Edith said:

Hi Louise,

I was with my scope 3 days at the astrophotography convention 5-8 October, and it worked. And at home I also tried to connect with Stellarium, and it worked. Before 4 days I bought SynScan Wi Fi and I have on my computer (laptop Dell) SynScan app, I see that connection is between SynScan app and SynScan WiFi but Scope will not move.  I think, because something happened, but what? I don't know.  Thanks for Your kindly interest in my problem.  Do You know what is emulgator?

P.S. I live in Frombork/Poland, I am astronomer, and I  have to go on Thursday to three places with lectures about the development of observation methods and I wanted to operate my telescope and probably nothing will come out...

Can you use it without the wifi i.e. just with hanset and cable or computer+ cable?

Hi Edith.

The fact that the Synscan adapter was broadcasting its SSID “SynScan_WiFi_####”  shows that power is reaching the mount.

But the adapter could not communicate with the control board "Device not found"

This suggests a fault in either the socket that the handset or wifi plugs in to, or with the control board itself.

Before checking the control board, is the mount still under guarantee from the supplier. If so could they check it for you?

Dear Louise and L.....

I thank You very much for Your answers. There is a high probability that the base socket to which the remote control (Hand Controler) is connected, decoder cables, or maybe the base itself broke down, although it's a bit weird, because if I connect this base to the network and the SynScan WiFi adapter is connected, it shines it has an orange diode in it, meaning it works. In the laptop, this network is visible. Similarly in Smarthfon. However, I can no longer control the telescope with the Hand Controller, I receive the message: Counte: both axis no response. I suspect that I do not have this version of SynScanPro. I have version 1.11.0. There is no possibility of setting anything on the android, and on windows - there is the possibility of entering the IP, the port itself is set, you have to enter the coordinates, but it does not work, only this version emulator. What to do?

7 minutes ago, Edith said:

Dear Louise and L.....

I thank You very much for Your answers. There is a high probability that the base socket to which the remote control (Hand Controler) is connected, decoder cables, or maybe the base itself broke down, although it's a bit weird, because if I connect this base to the network and the SynScan WiFi adapter is connected, it shines it has an orange diode in it, meaning it works. In the laptop, this network is visible. Similarly in Smarthfon. However, I can no longer control the telescope with the Hand Controller, I receive the message: Counte: both axis no response. I suspect that I do not have this version of SynScanPro. I have version 1.11.0. There is no possibility of setting anything on the android, and on windows - there is the possibility of entering the IP, the port itself is set, you have to enter the coordinates, but it does not work, only this version emulator. What to do?

Hi

Do you not have a PC to mount cable (eqdir) that you can use to control the mount (without using wifi or hand controller)? That's how I control my heq5. I take it you have Ascom + Eqmod + planetarium software on your PC? If you can control the heq5 via an eqdir cable than that would eliminate any problem with the mount itself. Have you had the wifi working before? I'm afraid I've no experience with wifi connections so can't help with troubleshooting that.

Louise