Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Decision finally made on my first telescope!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Antony,

That's a great scope, but I would have thought the mount unnecessary for a beginner, unless you're planning to get straight in to astrophotography. A better visual only scope would be the 8-inch dobsonian version ...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Kev

Congratulations, Antony - that is an excellent scope to get you going!

What is you main interest? Is it observing or imaging?

If you intend observing only you might be better going for the Dobsonian version of the SW 200P (or perhaps the 250P?). The reason for recommending that rather than an EQ mount is that they can be very awkward for visual use as they put the eyepiece in some very strange and uncomfortable places when you move around the sky.

However, if you intend moving on to imaging the EQ mount would be useful and capable of being upgraded with tracking motors.

3 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Hi Antony,

That's a great scope, but I would have thought the mount unnecessary for a beginner, unless you're planning to get straight in to astrophotography. A better visual only scope would be the 8-inch dobsonian version ...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Kev

Thanks for the reply, I am not straight away planning to but is on the cards for the future would this scope perform well for astrophotography? or am i better off starting with a dob and saving for a future more powerful scope for imaging?

I'm with KEV100, unless your wanting to get into photo astronomy, then the 200P on a Dobsonian will be more stable in the wind, and a dream and a joy to operate. If all your wanting to do is to look at stuff, then faffing about with an EQ is not for me. I had a basic GEM EQ1 and never again, unless I delve into photography, but then a better support system would be required, more expense, and to be honest, probably a smaller apertured scope for me If I went into the photo side. 

The 200P Dobsonian is cheaper, but no less quality, is easier to setup and use, and just a tad slower at f/5, which could prove expensive on eyepieces if coma and other aberrations affect your visual references.

Their both good scopes, but for visual only, the 200P is your telescope.

Steve make some good reference in his book here, https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html it will give you more knowledge than I can,  unless I steal his text! Its a good book to read if your planning on photography. 

Before you hit the Buy Now Button, The 200P Dobsonian was not designed for camera work,  but snaps of the Moon  and Stars can be taken, so can Star trails, but without a proper smooth tracking system, then no the 200P Dobsonian may hinder future photography requirements?

Without a dob or should that be doubt, my money is on the 200P Dobsonian. 

16 minutes ago, DRT said:

Congratulations, Antony - that is an excellent scope to get you going!

What is you main interest? Is it observing or imaging?

If you intend observing only you might be better going for the Dobsonian version of the SW 200P (or perhaps the 250P?). The reason for recommending that rather than an EQ mount is that they can be very awkward for visual use as they put the eyepiece in some very strange and uncomfortable places when you move around the sky.

However, if you intend moving on to imaging the EQ mount would be useful and capable of being upgraded with tracking motors.

At the moment just observing but i plan to do more imaging in the future. to myself the dobsonian scopes look kind of large and unwieldy are they a nightmare to transport? i do plan on transporting the scope to different locations quite regularly 

I think it's a great choice. The choice of mount is not that straightforward. The Dob would get you up and running slightly quicker and easier, but an EQ mount is a BIG bonus once you're used to using it, for photography, sketching, lunar or planetary viewing, and setting it up for visual use is a snap. I've never found eyepiece position to be an issue - that's what tube rings are for. I think a lot of people are put off by the EQ1 and EQ2 (which sound pretty shaky) but the EQ5 should cope with that tube provided it's not breezy. An HEQ5 would be better, but bulkier and pricier.

However, for AP the EQ5 will not cope with a 200mm scope, so when it comes to photography down the line you might want to consider a shorter, lighter tube. Mostly I use the EQ5 with a 300 telephoto, but it should cope with something like a Skywatcher 130mm PDS pretty readily.

Fully set-up, the 200P Dob takes up less floor space than the 200P EQ. They both could be carried outside too, but a fully extended  support system is awkward to get through doors?
My  scope went across the back seats on a Focus sized car, now with a smaller 3 door it goes into the boot with the seats folded. 

2 minutes ago, Charic said:

You don't need to join, but local clubs have all the enthusiasm and gear in place, so maybe an idea to see  if/when their next open meeting is,  normally free on the first night, but you should be able to get a view through some scopes if the weather is kind?
http://www.norwichastro.org.uk/astro-links

thanks for the reply, ahh yes im off up there tonight for a talk on proxima B and hopefully if the sky is clear ( judging by the handy tool i found on here, NO) a look through the scopes.

10 minutes ago, billyharris72 said:

.............once you're used to using it,

....as is always the case, learn how to best use your equipment, and it does become easy under all situations, but practicality was not one of them for me?

I managed the 127EQ very well even on my very own first night ( there's shaky system for you) but the effort and manipulation was not what I desired, I wanted simplicity, and simplicity I found with the present scope.

25 minutes ago, Charic said:

I'm with KEV100, unless your wanting to get into photo astronomy, then the 200P on a Dobsonian will be more stable in the wind, and a dream and a joy to operate. If all your wanting to do is to look at stuff, then faffing about with an EQ is not for me. I had a basic GEM EQ1 and never again, unless I delve into photography, but then a better support system would be required, more expense, and to be honest, probably a smaller apertured scope for me If I went into the photo side. 

The 200P Dobsonian is cheaper, but no less quality, is easier to setup and use, and just a tad slower at f/5, which could prove expensive on eyepieces if coma and other aberrations affect your visual references.

Their both good scopes, but for visual only, the 200P is your telescope.

Steve make some good reference in his book here, https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html it will give you more knowledge than I can,  unless I steal his text! Its a good book to read if your planning on photography. 

Before you hit the Buy Now Button, The 200P Dobsonian was not designed for camera work,  but snaps of the Moon  and Stars can be taken, so can Star trails, but without a proper smooth tracking system, then no the 200P Dobsonian may hinder future photography requirements?

Without a dob or should that be doubt, my money is on the 200P Dobsonian. 

Thank you for the reply, i think i am going to go back to the drawing board and maybe try and get my hands on a dob and an eq mount style system to test them both out and re-evaluate.

I own an EQ5 and 200p and I did use them for imaging. The 200p is a big beast so if you haven't seen one I'd recommend seeing it first.

I had some success with planetary and lunar imaging but it was a pain as  the scope wasn't very stable on the EQ5. I eventually gave in and moved to a HEQ5 and got some nice images of Andromeda. I then got a 130pds, then got a CCD etc. That is the problem, once you start the spending never stops :icon_biggrin:

Looking back on the decisions I made and the things I purchased, I don't really use the 200p or the EQ5 much anymore. I found a passion for long exposure photography of nebula and my gear specifically targets that. If you want visual, the 200p as dob or on an EQ5 will be great. If you want to dabble in photography and see whats out there then again its up to that task to a degree but your options will be a bit limited in what it can do.

If I were to start again, knowing what I know now and what I enjoyed I'd go for a 200p dob and treat my imaging gear separately. The issue you will have is that you don't really know what you want to do yet and the EQ5 version opens up more possibilities for you to experience and find your own way in the hobby.

Happy to answer any question you have about the 200p/Eq5.

5 minutes ago, Robp said:

I own an EQ5 and 200p and I did use them for imaging. The 200p is a big beast so if you haven't seen one I'd recommend seeing it first.

I had some success with planetary and lunar imaging but it was a pain as  the scope wasn't very stable on the EQ5. I eventually gave in and moved to a HEQ5 and got some nice images of Andromeda. I then got a 130pds, then got a CCD etc. That is the problem, once you start the spending never stops :icon_biggrin:

Looking back on the decisions I made and the things I purchased, I don't really use the 200p or the EQ5 much anymore. I found a passion for long exposure photography of nebula and my gear specifically targets that. If you want visual, the 200p as dob or on an EQ5 will be great. If you want to dabble in photography and see whats out there then again its up to that task to a degree but your options will be a bit limited in what it can do.

If I were to start again, knowing what I know now and what I enjoyed I'd go for a 200p dob and treat my imaging gear separately. The issue you will have is that you don't really know what you want to do yet and the EQ5 version opens up more possibilities for you to experience and find your own way in the hobby.

Happy to answer any question you have about the 200p/Eq5.

Thank you for the reply, How do the dobsonian Mounts work because they don't look particularly stable i must admit, i'm guessing weighted at the bottom? plus do you need a completely flat piece of land to place them on?

Good advice from Robp above - I'd go a little further and say for observing the 200p is better on an HEQ5 or AVX mount but for imaging it's much more stable on an NEQ6 Pro - especially in a light breeze. It is a comparatively large OTA (eg compared to an ED80) but very small compared to a 20" dob.

So it's kinda in the middle size wise. A dob base is going to give you cheaper stability for observing - but I find them a bit low so you have to sit on a low chair/stool or put them on a small table or upturned milk crate for standing. I'm 6ft tall for reference. Also all dobs are alt/az so not really suitable for imaging dso's - you'd need to go equatorial for that. Treat imaging separately is a good idea - different scope/mount.

Best thing is to see one in the flesh before you buy - maybe at your local astro club. A chap in our club purchased a 200P/EQ5 Goto last week - sold it - now has a CPC800 incoming. Both scopes are great - but suitable for entirely different purposes. It's all down to intended use and personal preference. Good luck :)

The main weight of a Newtonian is in the mirror. On the Dob mount this will be at the base.

As Brantuk states the better the mount the more stable it will be but then the cost goes up as well. You get into the zone of specialization so by that point you should have a solid aim you wish to achieve. Planetary imaging, galaxy imaging, nebula imaging and visual all have different ideal kit requirements.

If you are ever over my way your welcome to come take a look, it is a bit far though :icon_biggrin:

Just a thought - I notice you're in Norwich. In a couple of weeks time it's the Kelling Heath star party over near Cromer. Huge astronomy event with three camping fields full of astronomers from all over the country - massive array of kit - plus talks, trade stands, and boot sales.

Drop in to the main weekend on Saturday which is open to the public - you'll get a great idea chatting to the folks and I guarantee you won't leave without buying something - no one does lol. Drop in to my pitch if you like for a chat and a cuppa - we're on Yellow 164. :)

Hi Antony,

I have to agree that 200PDS is a beast and not very portable. I have this telescope and its a brilliant scope with brilliant visuals. I do agree that it can end up having eye piece at awkward location due to the EQ5 mount but none the less you can rotate your scope.

I have to add to it that the eye piece supplied with this will not allow you much to explore the wonderful sky so you might have to go for better eye piece or filters. Since my main aim was astro photography this suits me well..

I upgraded mine to goto and its brilliant. However for some reason I got the mount motors behaving funny and not having enough time to get it out and fix it.

Remember to buy a laser collimator on day 1 as this is something that you will require from time to time with reflectors.

Thanks

Roy

My experience is documented here: 

I did eventually swap my 200 Explorer (EQ5) for a 200 Skyliner (Dob) and I'm much happy in my observing for it.

One of the first things I found was that the week after I changed, it took me a single journey from the car to my observing spot (Eyepiece case over one shoulder, dob base in 1 hand, OTA in the other (in a bag). It would have taken me at least 1 more journey with the EQ5 for for mount head and weights. Set up time is down from about 20 minutes to less than 5, and I've found that I get out more because of it.

This is only my experience with them both, and ultimately it is your choice, but given the chance to start again, I would have gone straight with the Dob (and possibly a 10", given that it is the same physical length - the only reason I didn't get a 10" is that i had a bag for an 8" that was less than 6 weeks old)

Whatever you do you will never have the right scope, at least at first and likely never if both visual and AP are the intended purpose(s).

The 200P on the eq5 will allow you to do visual. The 200P is really too big for AP - weight and physical dimensions unless you go up one but preferably two steps in mount size.

How serious will the AP be? One option is go for the EQ5 and 200P and get used to the mount, for AP you will need an equitorial anyway, use that now for visual to see things and generally familiarise yourself with objects and the mount. You could then buy a 72mm ED from Altair (for example as it is just up the road at Aylesham) add a DSLR and start AP. On the presumption that you have a convenient DSLR lying around that would be the least costly entry in to both. At least initially. Upgrades come later.

As said at the top there is always a better scope and always a better mount - EQ5 now or HEQ5 a bit later, or wait a bit more still and get an EQ6. But you have to start somewhere.

Archived