Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod for a Tele-Optic Ercole

Ben Ritchie

Evening folks. I have a Tele-Optic Ercole which, until recently has been living happily on an EQ6 tripod (the EQ6 itself is in my observatory). I'm now planning on upgrading the observatory mount, which means the EQ6 will need its tripod back, so wondering what else people use with the Ercole?

Would be used mostly with my Astro-Physics 130EDT, which is a pretty big and heavy refractor - the Ercole handles it quite happily with a couple of counterweights and the EQ6 tripod, but wouldn't really want to go for anything substantially less robust.   

I use a 16" EQ/HEQ5 pillar extension with my Ercole attached to either a 2" EQ6 steel tripod or a Berlebach for HEQ5.

The Ercole has the smaller thread on the bottom so presumably your EQ6 tripod has been fitted with an EQ5 central bolt?

Can't think of anything better so why not just grab another? They are cheap to buy used.

I've just sold a Meade Giant tripod which I used with a Vixen 150ED scope which weighed around 20kg, but that's probably overkill for the AP.

I guess one of the large Berlebachs might be nice as a more attractive, and more expensive alternative.

I use the same extension pillar as DRT stuck on a bargain-bin EQ5 tripod. I have not actually measured the legs but they must surely be 1.75". I do not extend the legs more than 10cm. Have no issues with a SW ED120 and big eyepieces. Sorted.

In my crystal ball I do see a future upgrade to a nice wooden Berlebach tripod with HEQ5 base, probably a Planet, the taller version. Might make me seem more like a Gentleman Observer. The taller version.

:happy11:

As mentioned, the Ercole takes a standard EQ5 bolt so the assumption is that a larger tripod will be retrofitted with the smaller bolt.

Archived