Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ED80 first light

nightfisher

Very pleased to say just spent 40 minutes peering at the Luna surface with the new ED80

very pleasing views with super sharp crater detail, all of my EP`s come to focus using the 2" dialectric diagonal, no false colour as you would expect, had to stop early as a work day tomorrow, when i can find my Luna guide i might come back to this and fill in a few crater names but if i tried from memory i would not have a clue

all in all very good indeed

Be interested to hear how you compare it to the TAL100RS.    There may not be a perceived drop off in resolution due to the slightly lesser aperture , due to the ED80 presumably being just as sharp (or sharper) and without any colour.

I can easily see why a smaller refractor that has a cleaner image would be a winner, so portable and convenient to use.  Happy days!   The TAL is no slouch though, despite the slight false colour, and it would be an interesting comparison.

3 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Be interested to hear how you compare it to the TAL100RS.    There may not be a perceived drop off in resolution due to the slightly lesser aperture , due to the ED80 presumably being just as sharp (or sharper) and without any colour.

I can easily see why a smaller refractor that has a cleaner image would be a winner, so portable and convenient to use.  Happy days!   The TAL is no slouch though, despite the slight false colour, and it would be an interesting comparison.

This is just a guess but i feel the TAL would be a winner on Luna, the image seems a little dimmer in the ED80 due to smaller aperture, but i feel the ED80 will be better on other views, will see over the next few months

Very nice, Jules!  Views of the moon are very sharp indeed in the ED80 and it's a lightweight outfit. I watched the Lunar Eclipse last year in mine which was like looking at a huge Mars.  The color correction is very, very good in these.  Having a 6" achro I can see just how crazy the CA can get. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Very nice, Jules!  Views of the moon are very sharp indeed in the ED80 and it's a lightweight outfit. I watched the Lunar Eclipse last year in mine which was like looking at a huge Mars.  The color correction is very, very good in these.  Having a 6" achro I can see just how crazy the CA can get. Enjoy!

Too right, the ED80 sits really well on the AZ4, but looks like  "proper scope" its nice and portable, can be used on driven EQ5 for a bit of very basic imaging, will do nice Luna imaging, i was surprised when i popped my Revelation 15mm superview in, very sharp with just the final 15% of field showing a little distortion but still very nice, just need to rustle up a white light filter now

Archived