Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first picture, It's awful!!!

Moonshed

16 hours ago, spillage said:

Do not bother with the camera view finder. Connect it to a laptop if you can and use live view.

I have been looking at my Canon to see how to connect live view to my laptop. There are three connections, one is for the Intervalometer, one for transferring images to the laptop and the other larger one is marked HDMI OUT  so I am guessing it is this one? Assuming it is I need to buy the cable. Once that is done is it just a matter of pluging it in and it will automatically go to live view on the laptop or will I need to download the software? Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I have been looking at my Canon to see how to connect live view to my laptop. There are three connections, one is for the Intervalometer, one for transferring images to the laptop and the other larger one is marked HDMI OUT  so I am guessing it is this one? Assuming it is I need to buy the cable. Once that is done is it just a matter of pluging it in and it will automatically go to live view on the laptop or will I need to download the software? Any advice appreciated.

I connect my Canon via the USB/AV out socket. Most Canons come with the cable needed, but they are cheap to purchase from Ebay and such. If you plug the USB cable into your camera and connect to your laptop, you can control everything via Eos utility (free download from Canon) or APT (also free). these programs allow for live view and you can have full control without having to touch the camera.

33 minutes ago, djh said:

I connect my Canon via the USB/AV out socket. Most Canons come with the cable needed, but they are cheap to purchase from Ebay and such. If you plug the USB cable into your camera and connect to your laptop, you can control everything via Eos utility (free download from Canon) or APT (also free). these programs allow for live view and you can have full control without having to touch the camera.

Okay, thanks for that. When you say the USB/AV out socket which of the three I described is it please? I have a small round socket for the Intervalometer, a small one for transferring the images to a computer and a larger one marked HDMI OUT. I don't have any others.

6 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Okay, thanks for that. When you say the USB/AV out socket which of the three I described is it please? I have a small round socket for the Intervalometer, a small one for transferring the images to a computer and a larger one marked HDMI OUT. I don't have any others.

It's the small flat one you use for transferring images :)

22 minutes ago, djh said:

That's great, thanks for that, all I need to do now is download EOS Utility and I should be up and running. I was trying to get a pic of the Cygnus constellation a few nights back and got such a crick in the neck trying to frame it nicely  from the live view on the back of the camera. This will make life so much easier. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, djh said:

Yay!!! I have downloaded Canon Utilities and now have Live View up and running on my laptop. I am so happy about that, I suffer with a serious back problem and this will make my life so much easier. I only wish someone would come up with the same thing for polar alignment because kneeling down and squinting through that polar axis is a nightmare for me. Anyway, can't wait for a clear night and taking a rather ambitious shot, for a noob, of M31. I have been wanting to be able to take such images for years and now, finally,have all the gear, albeit perhaps not the very best gear ?

53 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Yay!!! I have downloaded Canon Utilities and now have Live View up and running on my laptop. I am so happy about that, I suffer with a serious back problem and this will make my life so much easier. I only wish someone would come up with the same thing for polar alignment because kneeling down and squinting through that polar axis is a nightmare for me. Anyway, can't wait for a clear night and taking a rather ambitious shot, for a noob, of M31. I have been wanting to be able to take such images for years and now, finally,have all the gear, albeit perhaps not the very best gear ?

If I am right in thinking you have the eq5 pro with goto then you only need to roughly polar align the scope. Run a 2 star align then in the same settings menu you can choose to do a polar align through the scope without having to use the polar scope. Do another 2 star align and maybe another polar align. This may make things easier.

I find my scope can be a bit fussy at times but gets there in the end.

Also when using live view centre a bright star then double click on the star which will open up a zoomed in page. Use this to enable you to focus using your bahtinov mask. If you don not have one you can either buy one or make one if you have the patience.

Bahtionv mask generator

That's a great image spillage even though it is a work in progress, I would love to get one like that. How did you take it, it looks well zoomed in so did you use an EP and a Telextender? Could you also tell what you put into the Intervalomoter, sub lengths and so on? It would give me a good idea how to set about it. Thanks. Keith.

29 minutes ago, spillage said:

If I am right in thinking you have the eq5 pro with goto then you only need to roughly polar align the scope. Run a 2 star align then in the same settings menu you can choose to do a polar align through the scope without having to use the polar scope. Do another 2 star align and maybe another polar align. This may make things easier.

I find my scope can be a bit fussy at times but gets there in the end.

Yes, I have an EQ5 GOTO mount. It's interesting what you say about polar alignment. What I do is I had a concrete base made outside my observing shed where I place my scope. I have carefully polar aligned the mount a few times and when satisfied it was as good as it gets I marked on the concrete where the tripod legs go. I then drilled shallow holes there so all I have to do is plonk my gear down on the base and put the tripod legs in the holes, that makes a pretty close PA. I then do a two star alignment and find that is close enough, that's what I did for my first image at the start of this thread. I think what you are saying is to carry on doing that and just repeat the two star alignment? Sounds good to me as just doing it once is pretty good but thought for accuracy I had to do the whole PA through the mount axis thing, which I find so physically challenging. Do you use the same two stars or pick different ones, or does it not mater? If I can get away with doing that then I would be delighted!

36 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Have a look at Apt works with canons free though for a small fee unlocks everything ,good program set your sub lengths etc ,has a batinov aid which is really good plus loads of other bits and bobs oh and plate solves too though not used that yet have a look here http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

Thanks bottletopburly (great name) I have looked at that and it does seem good. I have also just downloaded Canon Utilities and find that pretty good too. I am surprised at just how much good software there is out there, it really makes a difference.

48 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Thanks bottletopburly (great name) I have looked at that and it does seem good. I have also just downloaded Canon Utilities and find that pretty good too. I am surprised at just how much good software there is out there, it really makes a difference.

my cartoon idol was bottletopbill and his best freind corky :)

1 hour ago, Moonshed said:

Yes, I have an EQ5 GOTO mount. It's interesting what you say about polar alignment. What I do is I had a concrete base made outside my observing shed where I place my scope. I have carefully polar aligned the mount a few times and when satisfied it was as good as it gets I marked on the concrete where the tripod legs go. I then drilled shallow holes there so all I have to do is plonk my gear down on the base and put the tripod legs in the holes, that makes a pretty close PA. I then do a two star alignment and find that is close enough, that's what I did for my first image at the start of this thread. I think what you are saying is to carry on doing that and just repeat the two star alignment? Sounds good to me as just doing it once is pretty good but thought for accuracy I had to do the whole PA through the mount axis thing, which I find so physically challenging. Do you use the same two stars or pick different ones, or does it not mater? If I can get away with doing that then I would be delighted!

When in the menu that says 1 2 or 3 star alignment you can also choose polar alignment and then do an accurate alignment using the eyepiece and adjustment bolts on the mount using the hand set but not using the polar scope so you do not have to bend down...if that makes sense. But yes using the markers you have should be okay without polar aligning using the polar scope.

21 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Your combination is not ideal for deep sky objects, stars included. A long focal length, large chip and slow f/ratio will give you significant challenges, even guided. Your set up is better suited to Solar System imaging particularly if you have video mode.

20 hours ago, Moonshed said:

Okay, thanks for that, I'll just give up on DSO then and take up stamp collecting.

They said you can't do DSOs with an EQ3 mount and a 150PL. Frankly, that's nonsense too:-)

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They said you can't do DSOs with an EQ3 mount and a 150PL. Frankly, that's nonsense too:-)

We each do the best we can with the equipment we have and having others telling us we shouldn't even try is not exactly helpful. Having said that I have to say that 99.99% of the comments I have had on this forum have been very helpful and encouraging.

1 hour ago, spillage said:

When in the menu that says 1 2 or 3 star alignment you can also choose polar alignment and then do an accurate alignment using the eyepiece and adjustment bolts on the mount using the hand set but not using the polar scope so you do not have to bend down...if that makes sense. But yes using the markers you have should be okay without polar aligning using the polar scope.

Yes, it makes sense. On my controller though I have 4 options for star alignment. Easy, 1 star, 2 star and 3 star. I don't have an option for polar alignment. However, the system I use seems to work okay.

8 hours ago, Moonshed said:

Thanks happy-kat, appreciate your comments. I intend trying to get some wider shots of the Milky Way by piggy backing and tracking to get longer subs. I have some nice lenses from my Nikon film camera that I no longer use and can use them on my Canon with adapters, saves a lot of money and saves wasting expensive lenses. Like you I think it fun to see how much you can get out of your equipment. Thanks. 

You'll do fantastic with wide field shots piggy backed on your kit.    For wide field shots on a tripod, there's the 500 rule that's worth remembering - 500 / focal length of your lens = maxium exposure time before star trailing.    By piggy backing, that rule goes out of the window and you'll be able to take much much longer exposures just be have your scope tracking (provided that it's an eq mount rather than alt-az)

8 hours ago, Moonshed said:

QHY PolarScope is a small camera that fits to the mount (at the front where the cap for the polariscope fits) with a USB cable and some software

It guides you through your polar alightment in about 5 minutes.

No more kneeling int he wet grass or bending over.

11 hours ago, iapa said:

QHY PolarScope is a small camera that fits to the mount (at the front where the cap for the polariscope fits) with a USB cable and some software

It guides you through your polar alightment in about 5 minutes.

No more kneeling int he wet grass or bending over.

Now that looks like a good idea. That is going at the top of my xmas list. Thanks for that.

Archived