NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6960 Veil Nebula

cardconvict

Hi All

Here is my attempt of the veil nebula and really enjoyed getting back out after a few months of not being able to image. I used the ED80 with CCDT67 focal reducer and imaged with a StarLight Xpress 694, the image consists of:

6 x 600s RGB in each channel

6 x 600s HA

I really appreciate constructive criticism :help: and thanks for looking 

NGC 6960 desktop.jpg

Hi Ian

You've captured all the main features in the Witch's Broom and the whisps of Pickering's Triangle are beginning to emerge.  Focus is nice and crisp, NGC6960 framed centrally - all spot on.

Where you can improve is by (1) protecting the nebula and stars and reducing the red gradient in the background sky.  There is a wash of Ha in this area but it is distracting from the main subject; and (2) reducing the brightness of the stars whilst protecting the nebula.  Once you've done those two stand back and reflect on the image to see what to do next, don't rush it.

HTH

Barry

Hi Barry

I have to say a massive thank you Barry for your input, it has completely changed how I think about processing now. This is just the start but was well excited to show you the results after your input. Much more easier on the eye now and I hope you like.

NGC 6960 StarGazersLounge.jpg

NGC 6960 StarGazersLoungelessyellow.jpg

That's much better - well done.

The background still has a colour wash (bluey/purple) but less intense than the first rendition and this need neutralising also there is a green halo around 52 Cygni (on my monitor anyway).  Treat these and then you maybe close to a finished image, saving minute tweaks.

Good stuff!

OK being trying again today in processing and really hitting a brick wall with the amount of knowledge and skill level, I think this is where I really going to need to find some really good guides on different techniques on processing in Photoshop but here is V3

NGC 6960 HRGB Stargazers.jpg

NGC 6960 HRGB Stargazers 3.jpg

4 hours ago, simmo39 said:

A v fine image. Luv the stars in v2. How did u do that?

After every 3rd or 4th stretch on the curves I would use Astronomy tools making the stars smaller it may not be the correct way but it worked for me in the end.

This is pretty good - and bear in mind there is only so much that you can expect from a relatively limited data set.  I have been (and continue to be) guilty of trying to extract more detail than the data will allow.  

The only issue now for me is the colour balance.  It all looks a liitle too pink/red/magenta.  I struggle with this.  I don't know what software you have but in PS it is possible to place an 'eyedropper' point on the background (make sure there is no nebulosity under the sample point).  Read off the RGB values.  Then using Levels adjust the black points of the R, G & B levels so that the R, G and B numbers under the eyedropper are all equal (or nearly equal).  That sometimes works.  

There are equivalent tricks in other image processing software.

3 minutes ago, gnomus said:

This is pretty good - and bear in mind there is only so much that you can expect from a relatively limited data set.  I have been (and continue to be) guilty of trying to extract more detail than the data will allow.  

The only issue now for me is the colour balance.  It all looks a liitle too pink/red/magenta.  I struggle with this.  I don't know what software you have but in PS it is possible to place an 'eyedropper' point on the background (make sure there is no nebulosity under the sample point).  Read off the RGB values.  Then using Levels adjust the black points of the R, G & B levels so that the R, G and B numbers under the eyedropper are all equal (or nearly equal).  That sometimes works.  

There are equivalent tricks in other image processing software.

Thanks for the tip I will try that, it looks ok in photoshop but every time I load in on the internet it sticks out like a sore thumb, must be the black background that shows it off better

Archived