Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What scope? What object?

Reading all the posts on scope types leads me to conclude that if you want to view (and image) both planets and DSO's, you would need two scopes.

A reflector for planets (Mak 127?) and a refractor for DSO's (?)- or, as has been mentioned elsewhere, a good f8. :?: :?

I am trying to convince 'er indoors that I need to upgrade, and with an eye on November I just want to understand how the two scopes are generally used, so I can decide which way to go first.

Any advice???

Darren

A reflector for planets (Mak 127?) and a refractor for DSO's (?)- or, as has been mentioned elsewhere, a good f8. :?: :?

Usually refractors are recommended for planetary viewing because of their generally crisp optics - and reflectors for DSO viewing because of the light grasp.

Plain truth is that if there was one best scope on the market, then all of the other brands/types would be out of business. Your choice of scope will really depend on what you want to do with it. Will you:

- want to mainly concentrate on planetary observing?

- want to mainly concentrate on solar/lunar observing?

- want to mainly concentrate on DSO observing

- want to take up imaging?

- is portability a factor - i.e. will the scope be travelling to dark sky locations alot?

- is GOTO important - or will you prefer more 'traditional' methods to locate objects?

- what is your budget like?

These are a few 'off the top of my head' questions that will need answering before a sound judgement can be made. In my case, I knew that imaging was top of the agenda & therefore a scope designed for such a purpose (good mount, accurate drive, generous aperture etc.) was paramount. I ended up going for an SCT.

In the meantime, til you get a few more responses, you may find Ed Ting's article (see my post in the 'Beginner's Lounge') helpful. The URL is: http://www.scopereviews.com/begin.html

Thanks Andy.

OK, given this some thought and my answers would be:

'Yes' to DSO

'Yes' to imaging

'Possibly' to portability

GOTO not important (not at this stage anyway)

Budget - hmmmmmm

Therefore (and thanks for the correction of the two types), I should be looking at a largish reflector (6" / 8" ?) on a driven mount??

Darren

A 6" or 8" reflector on a driven mount is certainly a possibility, as is the likes of an 8" SCT or even a refractor like James has with a short f/ratio.

I'm not really an expert on the different types of scopes on the market nowadays. I've only ever owned three serious instruments (a 4" refractor & two SCT's); the last of which was purchased in 1991.

I'll let others who have more experience of scopes take hold of the baton from here. Stay tuned! :)

A scope that ticks all your boxes is an 8" refector on an EQ5 (preferably HEQ5 mount), the lot would cost about £500 (£750 with the HEQ, but worth it IMO.

If you want DSO's and don't rate portability as a major issue, then you should probably get the biggest reflector that you can afford to mount well, I'd guess this means either a 8" f6 on a EQ5 or HEQ5 or a 10" f5 on a HEQ5.

Gaz

I would go with what Gaz has suggested an 8" reflector F/5 my choice is this SKYWATCHER EXPLORER-200

200mm (8") f/1000 Motorised Parabolic Newtonian Reflector this comes with an HEQ5 mount for £535.00 at sheerwoods http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/sky_watcher/skywatcher_fs.html. It will offer you great plantery views and Deep space.

Having owned the scope before i know this is a great scope esp for the money.

James

Hi Darren,

I'm no expert on scopes (russ is your man really - he's had more scopes than BC&F :) ).

But if you have a look at http://iseestars.net/user/Ant all these images were taken with a 8" reflector, I'm quite happy with the planets / moon / sun shots even though officially the 8" F/5 shouldn't be too good at planets...

Ant

Thanks Guys

Helpful as ever :)

Thanks for that link, Ant. I suppose it is difficult to answer the "What will I see" question, but this shows me what is possible!

Soon as I've sold the MIL off for medical research....... :twisted:

Ant, what is the extra scope on top of yours?

Darren

That was a ST80, F5 refractor. Nice little scope swapped it for a ST102... the sold it to buy an EQ1 driven camera platform.

The ST80 is really cheap well under a £100 quid for the OTA and gives some huge field of views (compared to the 8").

Don't forget Darren that I'm by no means that good at this imaging lark, so the examples given should be easily reached by yourself within a fairly short period of time.

Ant

I thought about using it as a guide scope, so I could guide with the Toucam/ST80 and Image through the main scope... But the short focal length of the ST80 meant that tracking wouldn't be that good (better then nothing but only just :) ).

So I took some wide field shots through it, which came out OK. It ws a scope in it's own right - when I couldn't be bothered to assemble the 8" I would just set up the HEQ5 and stick the ST80 on top.

Ant

Hi Darren,

As far bang for buck goes, the 8" Newtonian will win everytime. And the best deal by far is the Sherwoods jobby for £535. The 8" Newt on the HEQ5.

The 8" SCT is a great scope.....a jack of all trades. The drawback is their new price. Anything GOTO is going to cost well over a £1000. The OTA (tube only) will set you back £800 new. And that buys a 10" Newtonian on the EQ6 with all the trimmings.

There's some good deals on secondhand SCT's, mainly for the Meade LX10 and the Celestron C8 Celstar. You can pick them up for £500(ish). Both come with a basic fork mount and RA drive. There's a deluxe model of each with Dec drive, large finderscope. They are more than capable of imaging the planets and okay for shortish exposures of deepsky.

You can pick up the 8" SCT tube only secondhand for £300-400. That'd be a good buy as you could pick up a HEQ5 mount for £360 and put the SCT on that. Have a good setup for £750.

But personally i would just go with the Explorer 200 on the HEQ5. £535 is a bargain for that setup. Plus you can add Skyscan to the HEQ5 at any time which will give it GOTO, PEC and Autoguiding capabilities. Could be a setup for life. If the planets take your fancy at a later date, just buy a small Maksutov which will go straight on the HEQ5. Sorted!!!! :)

Russ

I have nothing to offer on top of Russ v.good advice.

All I will say is Russ own's/owned the 8" newt + 127 mak with the EQ6. Awsome setup, DSO & Planets well covered!!.

8" Newt + HEQ5 :thumbleft:

Money well spent!

Rob

:)

Archived