NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thoughts on which imaging rigs to concentrate on

Gina

Also been thinking about where this thread is going following Mapstar's post.  I think some posts have rather gone off track.  At present I'm concentrating on the ASI1600MM-Cool camera, ZWO filter wheel and various camera lenses.  I'm still not sure about multiple imaging rigs - I think I have enough to do with the ZWO rig. 

I also have a number of other projects on the books and I can't do everything.  Reluctantly I feel I have to just ditch certain projects and prioritise.  I guess there comes a time when one has to face reality and realise that as you get older you can't do as much as in the past :(

Been looking at using the 45mm medium format lens.  Have adapter from that to Canon EF and I was sure I had a Canon EF to T2 adapter but I can't find it now :(  Been on ebay looking to buy another as I was sure these are easy enough to get but can't find any - only the other way round - connecting T" lens/scope to Canon camera.  Was I mistaken??  Seems possible :(  I'll try FLO.

Later...  Nothing - Evidently I was mistaken!! :(   DRAT!!!

Edited by Gina

This is more complicated than I thought :(  I think it's "doable" - I have lots of bits from my defunct DSLR debayering project, including the lens attachment rings.  I guess I shall have to glue one of these onto a T2 adapter of some sort.

Later...  Won't work - it'll make the optical path too long.  I would have to put the lens to EOS adapter in the lathe and part off the bayonet part.  Unless anyone else has any ideas...

Edited by Gina

1 minute ago, Horwig said:

Gina, is a C mount too narrow? if you can use one with a C to T  adaptor, there's this on the bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pixco-Canon-EF-EOS-lens-to-C-Mount-Film-Movie-Bolex-Camera-Video-CCTV-Adapter-/120787448944?hash=item1c1f7e3470:g:-yYAAOxyOlhSu9XE

Huw

Thanks Huw :)  But yes, C mount would be too small I think.

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

Found this

ZWO EOS Lens Adapter for EFW Mini & ASI1600

Zoom
resize.php?src=%2Fuser%2Fproducts%2Fzwo_ resize.php?src=%2Fuser%2Fproducts%2Fzwo_ resize.php?src=%2Fuser%2Fproducts%2Fzwo_
£36Regular Price:  £39
  Available - Delivery 10-20 working days.

Model:  zwo_t2-efw-eos_asi1600
Part Number:  ZWO-T2-EFW-EOS
Brand:  ZWO

That's a reasonable price, go for it

• Like 1

*Edit* Didn't see that Huw had already linked the ZWO adaptor!

It's what I'm using but it will only work with mechanical focusing lens. It won't work with the new focus-by-wire lenses as they need power.

Edited by Filroden
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gina said:

Reluctantly I feel I have to just ditch certain projects and prioritise.  I guess there comes a time when one has to face reality and realise that as you get older you can't do as much as in the past :(

I think it's more about focusing on something you're enjoying. If something is making progress and you're getting enjoyment out of it, there is no harm in parking other projects for another day!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Filroden said:

I think it's more about focusing on something you're enjoying. If something is making progress and you're getting enjoyment out of it, there is no harm in parking other projects for another day!

Couldn't agree more, I too seem to have more ongoing projects that I want to get on with than time in the day. And clients are so demanding, they insist on offering you paying work when there's much more enjoyable stuff to be worked on:icon_biggrin:

Huw

• Like 1

I'm certainly enjoying playing with the ASI1600 imaging rig and capturing data again after a 2 year "sabbatical" and a brand new camera - something different :)t

That ZWO adapter is on a longish delivery but is designed precisely for the job :)  It will also allow me to use Canon lenses.  I shall try the standard 18-55mm zoom though it has a rather small aperture but the 28mm Takumar is f3.5 same as the 18mm setting of the EOS zoom lens.  And 18mm gives a nice wide FOV :)

I use M42 Pentax SLR lenses.  The 45mm lens is for a Pentax 6x7 medium format camera but the others are M42.

Edited by Gina

Processed Simeis 147 Ha in BPP then auto-stretched and cleaned up the background with DBE.  Screenshot of PixInsight edited in GIMP with levels.

Simeis 147 Ha 132 120s g600 stretched.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gina said:

Processed Simeis 147 Ha in BPP then auto-stretched and cleaned up the background with DBE.  Screenshot of PixInsight edited in GIMP with levels.

Simeis 147 Ha 132 120s g600 stretched.png

What's the lighter area at the bottom edge of the frame, left hand side? Looks like somethings not gone right with the calibration unless it's nebulosity!

• Like 1

It's calibration.  Don't know why yet.  I probably did something wrong.

I've saved the image as TIFF and transferred it to Photoshop where I applied levels and Noel's Action - "Enhance DSO and Reduce Stars".  Just a relatively quick post process.  Cropped the bad edges off.  Saved in PNG format and transferred back to main desktop.

I'll read some more of the PixInsight book soon and see if I can manage better post processing.  Also, I want to capture some RGB to colour the stars and add the Ha to the red.  I think that will need masks to separate the stars.

Simeis 147_Ha_DBE-PS.png

• Like 3

In that half hour or so of clear sky just after dark this evening I managed to capture 35 60s Ha subs after rejecting bad frames in Blink.  Calibrated these with the appropriate masters and simply saved the result in PNG format.  Here is the result.  No post processing no background leveling etc.

Heart+Soul Ha 35 60s g600 -30C.png

• Like 2

The sky has cleared again so I'm imaging.  Didn't know what to image as I think I've covered all I want ATM at this FOV so I'm trying something different.  Gone over to Orion and the Flame to M42 area.  With M42 having an enormous dynamic range I'm trying a lower gain and short subs.  15s at a gain of 440.

To clarify above... captured a couple of dozen lights and checked them in Blink then used BPP as usual.  Data in the rejection_high integration but nothing other than a few dots where M42 should be in the main image.  I don't think BPP likes M42 with present settings :hiding: